Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cats smoking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cats smoking?

I had the exhaust off for some maintenance that I was doing, and upon re-install I now have cats that smoke like crazy when the car comes up to temps. The maintenance just involved starter, and flywheel replacement, nothing else.

The setup is basically 2.5" from the headers to an X pipe, then 2 universal Catco cats, then 2 Magnaflow cans.

The smoke isn't coming from the tailpipes, but rather the cats themselves seem to be just burning up and smoking. The smoke mostly comes out from
the sides of the car, with the smoke basically just looking for a way out from under the car.

Any ideas?
Old 08-25-2007, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

I have no knowledge of cats, being as tho I live in Florida, and always just hack em off....

But... Could it possibly be, that upon re-installation of said parts, could wires from O2 sensors, or wires to the starter may be resting on the exhaust, and as temps rise, the exhaust starts to melt the wires, and thats the smoke you see?

What does the smoke smell like?

Could be silly, but any suggestion helps! =]
Old 08-25-2007, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

I first thought something was rubbing/melting/burning too, but after checking everything underneath I found nothing. Really odd that it just started now that we put the exhaust on. I've had the exhaust on/off many times throughout this project, but never had smoking cats before now.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Another thing, could you have possibly gotten grease or something on the upper side of the cats (where it faces the floor board), that you cannot see, and maybe its burning off?

Or maybe the cats are just smoking... Lol... I have just never heard of cats smoking....

I've seen cats drink milk and climb a tree.... but never smoke...
Old 08-25-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol.. yeah the title of this thread brings up some really funny pics in my head.. lol!! Smoking Cats.. what are they smoking?

Ok seriously though. I bet its just grease on them? or paint? or undercoating? You could take a rag and some brake clean and pipe them down as much as possible.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

No grease down there, but I did install some heat shielding and sound deadening material in the shifter hole location. I bet it was some adhesive from the sound deadening material making it's way onto the top of the cats and burning. I re-did this section, but just haven't had a chance to drive the car again since. Thanks for the ideas.