Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

hood latch

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hood latch

my hood latch is hard as hell ive noticed. theres a "finger" that the hood had to push down to lock and that thing needs id say 50lbs of pressure to move down. with my fiberglass hood the thing needs to be pushed at the last bit of closing to get it to lock. i took the latch out and cleaned the hell out of it cause the spring was dirty as hell. what would help it be less resistant? putting in a smaller spring?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
my hood latch is hard as hell ive noticed. theres a "finger" that the hood had to push down to lock and that thing needs id say 50lbs of pressure to move down. with my fiberglass hood the thing needs to be pushed at the last bit of closing to get it to lock. i took the latch out and cleaned the hell out of it cause the spring was dirty as hell. what would help it be less resistant? putting in a smaller spring?
I just put my sunoco on and when I release the hood it pops up pretty hard and fast. I also would like to know if there's a way to decrease the pressure maybe just cut the latch off?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Teching In

i had the same problem....here's what i did. I took the hood latch completely off the car. Without taking the latch apart i carefully cut 4.5 coils off of the spring with a cut off wheel. i cut .5 coil off at a time out of the bottom of the spring (cutting in between the 4 tabs that hold the spring in) each time i cut a half out i put the latch back on the car to test it. i wanted the latch to very gently lift the hood up...it's a beautiful sight and sound now. i don't have to worry about the hood being shot up now. i'm sure each latch is going to be a little different so make sure you test it after you cut a little off

Hope this helps....i know it's not as detailed as it could be but i'm in a bit of a rush lol
Old 02-03-2009, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna look into this.

Quick Reply: hood latch