Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam or LT headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam or LT headers?

First off I have short tube hooker headers. The cats are gutted and I have a 3" flowmaster w/ electric cutout. Also have a lid/air filter and 4.10 gears in my '99 Z28 M6. Looks like the guy before me did some mild porting on the MAF too.

The reason I ask is because right now I have enough money to get either a cam pkg or lt headers. I'm looking to possibly get the TR 224/224 112lsa(a little lope is nice ) with springs, pushrods and maybe titanium retainers(do I really need them?). The other option would probly be jethot headers w/coated ORY.

When I get a cam I will probly wait to dyno tune until I get lt's and ls6 intake.

Just wondering what will give me more bang for the buck right now. Either way I will probly get the other next, just not sure when I'll have enough cash. Both have GP specials now so thats why I want to do 1 of the 2.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:59 PM
FormerVendor

Default Re: Cam or LT headers?

Right now you prob gain the same either way. The cam won`t work as good without LT headers and the headers will compliment the cam later. The question should be do you have the money to get the cam installed it will be more than the headers? And if you are doing labor your self whitch are you going to want to do?

Nate
Old 05-27-2003, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with the headers just because if you decide to do heads later on you can do heads/cam/intake all at the same time.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:57 PM
Teching In

I don't plan on getting heads for a long time if at all. I'll be doing all the work myself since I am a mechanic with all the tools and a shop w/lift to do it in. The reason I'm considering the cam is because I already have the shorties so I would see less gain from LT's(over stock manifolds) and shorties will kinda help the cam too. Thanks for the input so far.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would rather just get the cam a 224 112 would probably get more HP than LTs. You already have shorties so dont sweat it to much. If you look around you will find that a cam even without the LS6 intake will still make a few more ponies than the LTs. With headers it seems like a guessing game on how much power they make.