Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Master Cylinder Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Master Cylinder Problem?

A little over a month ago, I replaced my shot Spec 3 clutch with a Spec 2 (car makes about 400/370 rear wheel and didn't want to overkill like I probably did with the Spec 3). Since then (after the full break-in period), the clutch engaged a little low and got soft after a wide-open throttle run. I bled the clutch using the press the pedal down, open the bleeder, close the bleeder, release the pedal method. It still engaged a little low but has gotten much better (may just be the different type of clutch), but it still got soft after hitting wide-open throttle.

Therefore, I bled the clutch again today using the open the bleeder, press the pedal down, close the bleeder, release the pedal method. After this, clear fluid was coming out, the clutch felt about the same driving around, but it still gets soft after wide-open throttle (a few pumps in neutral and it always goes back to normal). The other problem that I've always had is that the car never shifts very smoothly from gear to gear. It gets hung up between gears (its a recently rebuilt transmission, so its not the tranny), and I always thought the drill mod would help, but after this soft-pedal problem with a new, multi-bled clutch, I'm thinking something else.

My buddy who helped me bleed the clutch thinks it may be the master cylinder going. The slave was replaced last clutch swap, so it's new (LS7 style, I believe), and everything else is pretty much new, properly installed, and bled, as far as I know (except for the clutch master cylinder). He said that when he would push the pedal down and I opened then closed the bleeder, the pedal wasn't really coming back up on its own. He had to pull it up, even after bleeding it a ton.

Does this sound like it could be a master cylinder problem? And if so, would this be contributing to my shifting problem? I really want to know because I plan on getting the car tuned next week and getting the drill mod done while it's at the shop, and if we think it's the master cylinder, then I will have them replace it while they are doing the drill mod. What does everyone think? Other suggestions or theories? Thanks!