LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

HV oil pump=burning all my oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HV oil pump=burning all my oil?

recently i've been having ANOTHER oil problem. my car sat for about two weeks with no leaking or anything. checked the oil, everything was good. then i drove it for about a week and checked the oil and it was about a 1quart and 1/2 low so i topped it off and drove it. in the past week it's lost about a quart. sometimes when i start the car up it has just a little blue smoke and it clears up. it also smells rich most of the time but i think thats another issue.
but i was thinking about the HV oil pump i have (sealed power) and ive heard some bad and some good about them. if the pump was driving the oil faster than it could return to the pan, wouldn't it burn it up? or be leaking everywhere? my front main seal leaks pretty good but not enough to leave a spot. the engine was rebuilt about 35,000 miles ago. also the valve guides were replaced during the rebuild. anyone have some idea?
Old 09-05-2007, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The HV oilpump is not your problem.

I would do a leakdown test and I bet you find a poor seal at the rings.
A rich condition if bad enough will wash the oil off the cylinder walls and ruin sealing.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

makes sense to me. i suppose my next question would be what would i have to do to correct it from running so rich? anything i've changed on the car is in my sig. thought i might add that i have changed the o2 sensors during the rebuild, i have taken the y pipe off a couple times and that may not be exactly like it should be but its not loud or anything. and my gas mileage isnt any different that i can tell.

Last edited by punkisntdead; 09-05-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

if you suspect it to be rich enough to be washing down the cylinder walls, you'll need some wideband tuning to confirm and correct.