Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

shim question: Mcleod bellhousing w/ Ram twin

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 07:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default shim question: Mcleod bellhousing w/ Ram twin

I just bought a RAM twin disc with a Mcleod bell housing. I currenty have the stock 02 TA hydraulics w/ a Mcleod adjustable master.

I'm curious to know round-about how many shims, or thickness, to put behind the throw-out???????? From what I've been hearing the length of the McLeod bell-housing is longer than stock.

I'm bolting the housing and trans to the motor out of the car and would like to be on the money so I don't have to pull the trans back out after I get the motor in. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-10-2007, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

No one? All these people putting in clutches
Old 09-10-2007, 12:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can determine the shim thickness needed yourself. Measure the depth of both bellhousings. You need a flat surface (a good table saw will do) to make these measurements. If you plan to use the McLeod motor plate (required to meet SFI 6.1) then you will discover that the McLeod is deeper than the original. You need a shim equal to the difference.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found that my mcleod bellhousing by itself is basically identical to the stock bellhousing depth. Now, with the motor plate added in then the mcleod is deeper by a little over 1/8".

Does anybody run the mcleod bellhousing without the motor plate?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
Does anybody run the mcleod bellhousing without the motor plate?
I do not recommend not using the motor plate but the plate does make installation more of a PITA. If you omit the plate there is no need to grind anywhere and there is a bit more room between the pesky bolts and the tunnel.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:23 AM
11 Second Club

I appreciate the info and understand I could just measure the depth of the housings individualy on a flat surface. I was looking to get my master adjusted some where close to the middle, instead of all the way out. The more adjustment I have, the better IMO. So, in that aspect I was curious if anyone played around.

Seemed the master was adjusted almost all the way out with my single disc McLeod.

Does the motor plate come with the bell-housing? No one said anything when I ordered it from TSP.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gary Z
I do not recommend not using the motor plate but the plate does make installation more of a PITA. If you omit the plate there is no need to grind anywhere and there is a bit more room between the pesky bolts and the tunnel.
Why can't it be used without the plate? I understand that if the clutch goes and I don't have the plate it will probably break the engine block. But, I am not willing to put up with shims and the problems associated with using the plate.

Quick Reply: shim question: Mcleod bellhousing w/ Ram twin