Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do before starting a brand new motor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What to do before starting a brand new motor?

Got a question...

I am just completing my first new engine build. I built the motor on a stand and dropped it in. Everything in the motor in new or rebuilt etc. I bought a forged internal short block from Futral, new cam, new heads etc. The only thing I used from my old engine was the oil pump, pan and intake.

I got everything else installed and hooked up, pumps, wiring harnes etc. I added the fluids last night but I didn't want to fire it up till I got some info from you all.

Here's my question.. Since everything is new, isn't there something I need to do before I start it up? I remember hearing something about priming the oil pump or something? Do I just turn the crank manually a bunch of times to get oil flowing? What exactly do I need to do?

Also what do you guys do for your first "heat cycle"? My block is new and I want to make sure the rings seal up nice. Do I let the car just get to running temp while idling? I know after my first heat cycle, I am goin to re-check the ARP head stud torque.

Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Lee
Old 05-30-2003, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What to do before starting a brand new motor?

I did a head/cam swap not to long ago and I used jmx's website as reference and it said to disconnect the coil packs, turn over the engine for a few seconds, then reconnect the coil packs and fire it up. I would think you could do this with a new engine too. Make sure you get oil pressure after a few seconds of the engine running.

Then I'd let it warm up while idleing, checking the coolant level, and monitoring everything else (if you have atap, I'd be using that too).

good luck
Old 05-30-2003, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What to do before starting a brand new motor?

dont forget about fuel though.. you don't want to wash the oil off the cylinder walls by flooding the engine with MAD amounts of fuel while cranking.

There are a few ways to do it, either flooring the accelerator to the carpet as you crank, or by unplugging the fuel pump relay.. whatever you prefer.