Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

2 series 3.42 brand options

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 series 3.42 brand options

ive done a good search and seems richmond and strange are the only ones? i was hoping for motive. quietness is my main concern. any help?
Old 09-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by monsterbreather
ive done a good search and seems richmond and strange are the only ones? i was hoping for motive. quietness is my main concern. any help?
That's all I found in my search. I went with Richmond's.

Richmond's can be quiet, too. Most people complain about noise because frankly, a lot of gears aren't installed correctly. Make no mistake about it, Richmond's can be just as quiet as an OEM set of gears if they were set up correctly. It's been done many times, and mechanics will verify. The people that post about them tend to be the ones that are having a bad experience, and since Richmond is such a popular name, you have the illusion that Richmond's are this terribly noisy gear.

Also, the Torsen differential doesn't require limited slip additive, but adding some will still make it quieter. I'm using the additive along with Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil.

I went with Richmond because they're a great name. Richmond's are a bit more money than Motive's, and I'd be willing to bet Richmond's are stronger than Motive's at that. Get them set up correctly and they won't whine, it's that simple.

My Richmond 3.42's go in tomorrow (I also have a 2 series carrier). I'll let you know how they turn out, though I can't hear much with the new headers...and since I lost my cutout cap
Old 09-09-2007, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

do let me know!!!!!.ive set up a ton of 8.8s,danas,and alot of ford/gm rears.ive only had a problem with richmonds noise wise.i do know there stronger.never set a 7.5 up as of yet.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Precision Gear also makes a 2 series set.

I dont get it... what is the problem with USGear/Strange ?? I am really interested. To this date, they are the only gear set I have installed into the venerable 7.5" that would live up to the daily abuse of drag racing clowns and inexperienced drivers. Id run them over Motive's any day of the week.

For a quiet installation, the USGear and/or Precision's are going to be the hands down winners. Percision Gear purchased USGears old machinery when they re-tooled a few years back... so they are basically the same gear sets with the Precisions having a slight finish difference.

FWIW... Richmonds pick up noise a little easier due to their metalurgy. They tend to Rockwell a few points higher which changes their natural resonant frequency. But they can be quiet... god willing.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for the input chicane...richmonds are out of the question due to experiance..if this was a track car i would only use them only. strange seems to be an option thanks bro... keep em coming.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by monsterbreather
thanks for the input chicane...richmonds are out of the question due to experiance..if this was a track car i would only use them only. strange seems to be an option thanks bro... keep em coming.
Why are they out of the question? They're one of the strongest, if not the strongest gears you can buy, and since you're doing gears, I assume you don't have stock exhaust, meaning you won't hear the gears anyway. If you talk to experienced mechanics, most of them say go Richmond. And I get this frequently.

Like I said, I'll let you know how they turn out. I didn't get Strange gears because it would have been another $20 for them, which doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

ive had em in my cars before,mainly 8.5 rear. kinda noisey and they were set up right.not real noisey but when i set a rear up under the 4.11 ratio,you never know there ther ecept for richmonds. i didnt mind it at all in track cars because i know there the strongest.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Tech Resident

Got the Richmond's installed and got my car back today. NO GEAR WHINE. It is as quiet or even more quiet than it was stock. The key is having them set up right. They even sent me a ring with a small chip in one of the teeth and it's still noiseless *knock on wood*

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 09-12-2007 at 03:00 PM.