Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Problems with my balancer or is it something else(non LSX related?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with my balancer or is it something else(non LSX related?

This is non lsx related but this seems to be the place I get the best answers. I have a chevy 305 rebuilt motor and the #1 piston is on the fullest stroke TDC but the 0 on the timing tab and the mark on the balancer do not line up whats the problem?
Old 09-15-2007, 10:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There were about 6 different timing tabs/locations for small block Chevys.
You could either have a mismatch of balancer & tab, or the balancer went bad & the outer shell slipped on the rubber. This is common as well with older engines.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like Lonnie already said, their are many different style SBC balancers but their were only two timing mark locations....12 O'Clock and roughly 2 O'Clock, the difference between the 2 is about 30 degrees. With the motor at TDC see where the TDC or 0 degree mark on the balancer lands, if it is in either of those positions you have 2 options. One: is to just remark the balancer according to the timing tab you have, or Two: get the correct timing tab/make your own. If at TDC the mark on the balancer is nowhere near the 12 or 2 position, chances are the outer ring on the balancer spun and you should get a new one.

Quick Reply: Problems with my balancer or is it something else(non LSX related?