Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the ls1 well domestics in general and

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the ls1 well domestics in general and

had a couple of questions.
First off my name is Antonio, I live in scottsdale az, and worked at a fab shop called full-race motorsports. I have always been into imports since I was 17 and now I am finally kind of leaning away towards them and just in love with vettes. I have been messing with a 2000c5 for a couple days now and Just wanted to know something that I am having problems with.

First thing was the belts were squealing like a school girl on prom night. I did a little research and found out that the tensioner and idlers pulley's go bad. I replace all of those with new belts same squealing noise happens again. At this point i'm like wtf. I research a little more and find out that the harmonic dampers go bad??? So last night im messing with it a little more when all of a sudden the check engine light and traction control light come on. The little screen on the bottom was blinking reduced engine power. Since I know NOTHING of these car my educated guess would be something happened and the car went into limp mode? Anyways I go to look at the things I replaced and I see the crank pulley kind of wabling around while its spinning.

Now my questions are:
1. How the hell does a solid piece of metal come apart and wobble?
2. Do I have to remove the PS rack to get to it(looks like it goes right across where the crank pulley bolt is?
3. What could be the problem that is throwing those codes and how do I check them?
4. Are these cars prone to crank walk?
5. Even though the belt is still on the car and the car in limp mode, could I drive it 6 miles to my shop or have it towed?

Any advice would be great. And take it easy on me im just a newb
Old 09-18-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you take your car to an auto parts store they can scan the codes for free. Then you will get a better idea of what is going on.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would post this in the vette section, while our motors are the same, they are differnt cars
Old 09-18-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Full Race makes nice ****