LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

car stumbles randomly and tach goes crazy

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car stumbles randomly and tach goes crazy

the other day i was drivin my car and i was regularly taking off from a light and my car just fell on its face. as soon as i gave it gas and let the clutch out to go the car lost all power and almost died so i reved it and tried to move again and it died. i ended up pushing it to the side of the road and tried to start it again it had a little trouble but after a bit it fired up again. i let it run for about 5 min at idle before i did anything then i was looking around and trying to see what the problem could be, i revved the engine a few times everything fealt strong and sounded great so i drove it a little bit and no problems at all. well the next night i had my car out again and i was driving around 30 mph and then all of the sudden the car just stumbled and fell on its face and the car died again. i got a ses code p0100 which is MAF or VAF A circuit malfunction. so i tried driving it to try to see what it would do, i noticed that when you drive and then give it some gas but not even enough to break the tires loose thats when it would stumble but if you put it in neutral and rev it it was fine. this has really got me confused has anyone had any of the same issues? sorry for such a long thread i wanted to include alot of details that might help answer the question.

thanks. josh
Old 09-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Launching!

I had a similar issue. My fuel pump died on me. Did you notice a strong odor of gasoline?

It would start fine, drive fine. Then die. Sometimes it would sputter, then die. Sometimes it wouldn't start at all.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:13 AM
Banned

Sounds like an opti... or like was previously stated... fuelpump.

Get an Accel opti and a Walboro 255lph pump.. Install both and have peace of mind!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

i just replaced my opti and i also did the msd cap and rotor about 5 months ago i am hoping it would not go bad that fast
Old 09-19-2007, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

mine kinda did the same thing but not to that extreme. i could drive normal down the road and tip into it and it would miss and the tach would jump all over the place, then it turned into as soon as the car warmed up it would die, i replaced the coil and all was good, but a few months later my opti died . im going to say a coil would do the trick because mine did the about the same thing. the 16 dollar one from orilleys is still kickin after a year or so, so its not expensive
Old 09-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Teching In

check the connection at the MAF, the yellow wire. this one sends the signal from the maf to the PCM.
i have a similar issue, and its intermitant. wiggled the wire while idling and the car just about dies, and used a volt meter with just the ignition on (engine stopped) the voltage would drop from 5v to nothing when i wiggled the wire. in my case its the connection from the harness to the maf that is the issue... its much easier than an fuel pump or opti....also data log while driving around and watch the MAF signal..........

Quick Reply: car stumbles randomly and tach goes crazy