Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need help diagnosing rear end problem, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help diagnosing rear end problem, please help!

About 6 months ago I put a catback on my car that turned out to have a deffective bend in the intermediate pipe. After install it looked like the i-pipe was coming close to the DS but it didn't touch. Turns out that whenever I needed to hit the breaks hard the rear of my drive shaft/output shaft for the rearend contacted my i-pipe denting the **** out of it. I have since fixed the problem but have noticed a bad leak at the pinion seal no doubt caused by the contact. I now get a single clunk from the rear when I have to hit the breaks moderately, followed by another single clunk from the rear when it comes time to accelerate again. I am planning on doing gears soon so I can fix the pinion seal and replace the posi while I'm in there but my fear is that the old contact with the i-pipe may have seriously screwed where my output shaft goes into the rear and/or connects to the driveshaft. Can anyone help me diagnose this? Im gonna need a pro on this one. Im hoping to get out of this jam for around 1k dollars or less.