Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with th400 install (converter clearance issue)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help with th400 install (converter clearance issue)

Okay so I've finally received all of my parts for my tranny install (JW too FOREVER because they were backordered)... So yesterday I lined my tranny up and bolted it in but before I lined it up I seated the converter... It clicked into place and I turned it a couple of time and pushed just to make sure... It didn't go in any further and the contact pads are about a half of an inch behind where the end of the bellhousing is... My problem is I have a Meziere flexplate and I think that it's a little thicker than stock so the end play that I "should" have isn't there.. It's a little tight but I'm wondering it it's because the contact pads on there converter are thicker than a normal one... They are threaded vs the flatter non threaded that uses a bolt and nut... If there's any guidance you guys could give I'd really appreciate it... I haven't driven this dang thing in forever and wanted to be tuning by this weeknd...
Old 09-19-2007, 04:20 PM
FormerVendor

The thickness of the flexplate should not be an issue. But... how much room is there between the flexplate and the converter pads when the trans is bolted up and the converter is pushed solidly into the pump?

That being said, I ran into an issue today with a converter that a cutomer dropped off. He had purchased it used and did not know much about it. My converter shop guys told me that it is too tall by 1/4". Meaning it was built for an engine that had a motor plate. Food for thought.

Converter fitment is ordinarilly not an issue in a swap like yours if all of the parts are correct and assembled properly.

Hope that helps, good luck.

g
Old 09-19-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I talked to Marty a couple of weeks ago to verify that it was for an LS1 fitted to a TH400 without a plate...

That's just the thing, I pushed it in and it clicked in... I don't really seeing it being pushed in any further because I've seated it a couple of times and this was as far as it went in... The converter pads actually touch the flexplate when it's bolted in securely... It only touches (really snug) when the bellhousing is all the way tightened down... Is it supposed to go in further?? It only clicked in once...
Old 09-19-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default space

put a straight edge across the front of the bell. the tc mounting pad should be 1" in from the edge. good luck
Old 09-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's in 1/2" from the bellhousing edge, supposed to be in about 1", the pump tangs are approx 3/8".
Sounds like it's not in the pump.
Sometimes turning and pushing doesn't help because the pump will turn even if the converters not in the tangs.
When I get one like this I pull the converter out 1/2" or so and turn it slightly and push it back in, keep doing this until it goes in further.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
It's in 1/2" from the bellhousing edge, supposed to be in about 1", the pump tangs are approx 3/8".
Sounds like it's not in the pump.
Sometimes turning and pushing doesn't help because the pump will turn even if the converters not in the tangs.
When I get one like this I pull the converter out 1/2" or so and turn it slightly and push it back in, keep doing this until it goes in further.
Cool, I'll definitely try this... I lined it up when it was on the table but I assume that I didn't get it in all of the way... I hope to god that I can get it in easier Friday when I work on it again... I GOT SO MANY OTHER THINGS THAT I NEED TO WORRY ABOUT!!! Thanks everyone for your help... I'll keep you updated...
Old 09-19-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default pump

l always send my SLs with the pump gears at 12 and 6 oclock
Old 09-20-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As said by previous poster, i believe you have not fully engaged the pump. The converter should "fall" 3 times. If you just want to know before you start to put your tranny back in. Just put some fluid in then turn the converter, if tranny fluid starts coming out the coolant holes then you know you have engaged the pump .
Old 09-20-2007, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

I wish you where closer 98turbols1 I wouldn't mind helping you out.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I'm only like 40 miles away.. =) I would have it done BUT they are closed on base wednesday and thursday.. Meh, I'll eventually get er done.. I just got some oil (Mobil 1 SuperSyn crap cuz I've read a lot about Royal Purple sludging) so I'll do that tomorrow for sure... I also have a friend coming to help so maybe a set of fresh hands and eye may be able to help... I'm going to loosen the tranny up first thing and try to get it to seat.. I'm going to do a lot of praying tonight because it's going to take a freaking miracle knowing my luck... I'm trying to see this as a positive because it's a learning experience... I've done autos before but this one is really testing me...

Thanks X.. Are you still going FI?? Well I SHOULD have it done this weekend, if so then I may have to cruise up this weekend or next and have a beer.. I have to tune it anyways so some logging is definitely in order... Thanks again guys...
Old 09-21-2007, 10:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
Well I'm only like 40 miles away.. =) I would have it done BUT they are closed on base wednesday and thursday.. Meh, I'll eventually get er done.. I just got some oil (Mobil 1 SuperSyn crap cuz I've read a lot about Royal Purple sludging) so I'll do that tomorrow for sure... I also have a friend coming to help so maybe a set of fresh hands and eye may be able to help... I'm going to loosen the tranny up first thing and try to get it to seat.. I'm going to do a lot of praying tonight because it's going to take a freaking miracle knowing my luck... I'm trying to see this as a positive because it's a learning experience... I've done autos before but this one is really testing me...

Thanks X.. Are you still going FI?? Well I SHOULD have it done this weekend, if so then I may have to cruise up this weekend or next and have a beer.. I have to tune it anyways so some logging is definitely in order... Thanks again guys...
For now im giong with lots of n20, Once I save money and buy everything I need for FI then I will get started. I don't want my car to sit for 8 months agian.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well everyone, I just wanted to let you guys know that I had some good news to pass... I GOT THE CONVERTER IN THE HOLE!!! I know it sounds gay but it was like loosing my virginity again.... I was working at it for a while, had some of my friends try, and then I tried again when I finally got it in... Anyways, I'll have my car done FINIALLY tomorrow and then on to tuning... THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE...
Old 09-21-2007, 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

Nice! sometimes you have to play with it for a while before it goes in the pump. make sure you have 1/8" to 3/16 " between the converter to flexplate before you bolt it on. Have fun with the 400 I know you will love it.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have PLENTY of room now.. you can definitely tell a huge difference.. I'm going to go work on it first thing tomorrow but I have to get some longer bolts for the converter.. Oh I know I'm going to have a lot of fun!!! I just can't wait to get it tuned, headers on, and cruising down the road...
Old 09-22-2007, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bjamick
As said by previous poster, i believe you have not fully engaged the pump. The converter should "fall" 3 times. If you just want to know before you start to put your tranny back in. Just put some fluid in then turn the converter, if tranny fluid starts coming out the coolant holes then you know you have engaged the pump .

Unless you are able to spin the convertor at least 500 rpm there will NOT be an fluid flowing from the cooler fittings.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:16 AM
FormerVendor

Hey that's cool!

Let us know how it runs for ya.

g
Old 09-22-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope you get that spacing correct buddy
Great instructions

That should help a lot of DIY'ers when it comes to the correct converter spacing.

I set mine up to a 3/16ths gap.

Quick Reply: Help with th400 install (converter clearance issue)