Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

please tell me my clutch is going!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please tell me my clutch is going!

every gear slips. im almost 100% sure its my clutch, but it goes into gear fine, i can accually shift without the clutch at all. if definatly my clutch right? haha, casue i cant afford a tranny
Old 09-19-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, your clutch is going.

If your rpms increase rapidly and the car doesn't accelerate normally, then your clutch is slipping.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
If your rpms increase rapidly and the car doesn't accelerate normally, then your clutch is slipping.
then what do you call having to work the clutch pedal longer than normal to get to a roll from a stop, because my car does fine when its in gear (sorry didnt mean to steal the thread)
Old 09-20-2007, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

The easy test is to put it in 5th gear with low RPM's...and punch it (lug it a bit). If it revs but doesn't move...your clutch is slipping and going out.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:19 AM
FormerVendor

Putting the car in 5th and trying to take off is automatically going to be more taxing to a clutch...increased load and lower torque related to the chosen gear ratio will inherently lead to a greater chance to slip. You mention that you are able to shift gears without depressing the clutch pedal...this is evidence that the disc is getting thin...ie it is worn. The other potential cause is that your TOB is riding the diaphragm fingers leading the unit to stay partially released. This can also cause the issued your describe. I would check the fluid first: if it is cloudy or black, flush anf refill. Also, if you pull the clutch you can send me some pics and measurements and I can help you determine the amount of wear you are experiencing. As I understand it you have a stock clutch now...correct? Either way, I will be happy to assist you. Thanks!

Quick Reply: please tell me my clutch is going!