Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 1978 280z 2+2 build s30

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 1978 280z 2+2 build s30

So I went down to Georgia some 6-8 years ago to get a 1978 280z 2+2 that had a perfect frame. On the way down I blew the tranny in my pickup, had to get that fixed. I finally get there and pickup the car. On the way back up I blow out a tire, and the condition of the other tire looked about the same so I bought new tires for the truck and some for the Datsun while I was at it. I get lost in DC and the tow ball breaks on the highway. I had to find another one at 1130 at night. I drove over the GW bridge just to come back over the Tapanzee which cost me 40 bucks! "Car in tow" she says! Anyway, I've been broke ever since.

Tranny $800
- I didn't mention that they fixed it wrong and when i got back up here my step dad fixed it again!
hotel rooms $400
gas $350
tires $400
tow ball $20
uhaul trailer $110

a 1978 Datsun 280z 2+2 with no frame rot - priceless no, not really $700

Expensive trip

Then I realized that if I am going to continue going to school my 89 chevy blazer (fullsize) getting 8 MPG isn't going to cut it. New car 2000 z24 cavalier $8000.

I get into that, motor swaps, nitrous, supercharging, suspension, stereo, blah blah blah.....

Bought a house $207,000

So recently I realize to myself that I am dealing with the wrong platform, and I decide, what the hell, I have some cash saved up, why not play a lil bit.

This is what I got last night on ebay, funny enough its in Georgia, but this time they can ship the @!#$in thing! I have the same truck but I am not going thru all that again!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

1999 LS1 and T56 6spd tranny, comes with wiring harness, ecu, pedals, and a hefty shipping bill but totally worth every penny!

It comes with a ported TB, LS6 intake mani, spec stage 3 clutch, short shifter, headers, and an aftermarket cam shaft.

I'm totally excited! Now I gotta get the poor Z out of my parent's barn in NY and into my garage in CT.

No pics as of yet of the car, they will come once I get it to CT.

I'm so excited to finally be able to work on my dream car!

Here she sits, in the same place she has sat for the last 5 years...

My bro's project thats been sitting next to it for the last year and hasn't moved either, yup, its a golf... well.... it was....

I love my step dad and his many many toys that made this soooooo much easier!

Its finally out of the garage

Upon her chariot she waits to head off to her new home

It looks as if I just unearthed some buried treasure!
Old 09-20-2007, 09:02 AM
Teching In

So I got the sucker home

She really needed a nice bath...

Me being home by myself with a car with no means of coming or going on its own, not to mention the lack of brakes, I had to let it off the trailer using ratchet straps!

Now to get that blown motor and tranny out of it

Two of my good friends doing the dirty work while I play photographer! Thanks guys! You definitely made life easier!

Motor out, and she wants out of the garage! Who can blame her? She has been stuck in the garage for waaaaay too long!

So with the weight of the iron straight 6 and the transmission gone, she has this 50's gasser look, you know, the nose pointed up towards the sky... It makes me wonder... maybe I should build her like that... it would be different, thats for sure! Damn you Hotrod magazine for putting ideas in my head!

So..... any takers? Cause I really have no idea what I am gonna do with it!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:02 AM
Teching In

So as I was chipping away at the 30 year old sound deadening last night I realized this is entirely wayyy too stupid. I need to have it done for me. The car is covered in chipped paint, its been painted multiple times. Rust is pretty controlled but still there in quite a few places. It has undercoating that is chipping and peeling away. Lots of surface rust is present. It really needs a good smack down. So I called around and I think I am going to have the entire shell sandblasted. Its probably going to take me a couple weeks to get everything off the car. Especially being that I am a work-a-holic, and my girlfriend craves constant attention.... I think I am going to try to build my own rotisserie for the project to make my life "that" much easier.

I got the new motor two days ago.

Of course my work-a-holic *** had to work that nite so I parked it and waited for last night to pull the motor out of the back of my truck, it was like Christmas!

My buddy Rob came over with his son to give me a hand!

I had to fight Kevin for it! It was a merciless battle!

In the end we agreed that he could help unwrap it and all was well

The beast!

Out with the old and in with the new!

76mm ported throttlebody

My first mod, that shift **** has been waiting for 3 years to go on...

More to come!
Old 09-20-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome....keep up the full pics & documentation during the build, and then donuts, burnout, dragstrip, road race , and cruisn videos!

Quick Reply: LS1 1978 280z 2+2 build s30