Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wondering about a catch can....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wondering about a catch can....

I recently put a catch can in my car with the standard set up for the hoses (one coming from the connecter behind the intake to the catch can and then going into the intake). What I was wondering was doesnt oil come from the hose from the pass valve cover into the tb also? What would be the results of blocking those two points off and has anyone tried to do a 2-1 connector then into a catch can then another 1-2 connector leading back into the intake and tb? Thanks a lot.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
I recently put a catch can in my car with the standard set up for the hoses (one coming from the connecter behind the intake to the catch can and then going into the intake). What I was wondering was doesnt oil come from the hose from the pass valve cover into the tb also? What would be the results of blocking those two points off and has anyone tried to do a 2-1 connector then into a catch can then another 1-2 connector leading back into the intake and tb? Thanks a lot.
Your question is confusing. The direction of flow is from the PCV to the front of the intake (on my 2002 at least). I just installed an Elite Engineering catch can and it was pretty straight forward and did not involve anything more that the hose from the PCV to the input of the can (on mine it is the top) and then from the exit of the can (on mine it is the side) to the front of the intake.

As far as the TB goes there is a coolant line that runs to and from it. It has nothing to do with the PCV system. Hope this helps.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Yes I know that the flow goes from the valve covers->pcv->intake, but there is also a hose that runs from the front of the pass valve cover to the tb. This is not a coolant hose, but it seems to be another pcv hose that goes to the tb. It seems to me that this would also carry oil, via blowby like the pcv valve, back into the tb and then into the intake.

What I was wondering was if anyone had combined that hose and the hose coming off the pcv valve into a single hose, run that into the catch can, and then split the hose coming off the catchcan into two hoses and run it into the tb and the intake. It sseems like this would be teh best way to keep oil out of both. Ill get pics of what hoses I mean.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

This is what I was talking about, but I think I realized the answer. I was talking about running both the red into the catch can and then running form the catch can into the two blue circles. I think that the flow of the tube from the tb to valve cover auctually goes from tb->valve cover (fresh air tube i think) so that means oil shouldnt go through there. When I took my tb off though it had oil there so Im not sure which way the flow goes