Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Audio upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 02:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Audio upgrades

For those of you who have upgraded the audio system and kept the factory head are you happy with it. I found and o6 I am heading out to look at. I was planning on a set of focal components in the front no rears and a couple tens in a ported box and a nice amprack to blend it in. Even though I work at an audio shop I can count on two fingers how many of these cars we have worked on. They were idiot kids that junked everything and put loud systems in and not good sounding stuff. Thanks
Old 09-30-2007, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think i was told the GTO has a stock 10 speaker system. Anyone find all 10 yet and the amp I hear people talk about? Are they hidden in the trunk? I think I've located 6 speakers within the car.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

I'm ok with keeping the stock HU with aftermarket speakers and an added sub/amp. Though I'm ditching it since I already bought a 4 channel to power the components and rear speakers.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Teching In

i have a 06 an im not happy with the stock system at all they should of put the monsoon in it.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Launching!

the stock unit is ok, you can have rca outputs and a aux input soldered into it, search over at ls1gto for that info

i replaced all of the factory speakers and added a four channel amp, sounds alot better and covers up most of the added noises(aps twin pumps, sts oil pump) I',m going to add to real subs in the area where the rear side panel speakers are, many guys have done this, you save your trunk area and its stealth like

car only has 8 speakers, two tweets upper dash, two door speakers, rear side panel and two rear deck woofers. the amp in in the trunk, remove drivers side carpet and the amp is right there
Old 10-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

subthump.com sells boxes that fit into the lower rear speaker area that will house a 10" sub. The cost is somewhere near $75 each. You'll have to place the rear mid high's to the rear deck which I think would give a better sound anyway.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

FYI... I'm running JBL GTO components up front and JBL GTO coaxial speakers in the side panels off the stock head unit. I must say overall it's a big improvement over stock. I took the subs in the rear deck out and added a 12" Fi Q sub, added a LOC and a Memphis 16-PRD1000.1 amp. I also have a Memphis 4 channel amp uninstalled since I'm deciding on what HU to get. Honestly I think the set up as is, is good enough. Though getting an aftermarket HU is tempting since there are more options/featers and it will have better SQ. Though the single din HU's look out of place and I'm not going to spend the money on a touch screen for this car.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lynmup
subthump.com sells boxes that fit into the lower rear speaker area that will house a 10" sub. The cost is somewhere near $75 each. You'll have to place the rear mid high's to the rear deck which I think would give a better sound anyway.
they no longer list the gto boxes on their site, sent them a e-mail week or two ago and got no answer.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2006M6GTO
I think i was told the GTO has a stock 10 speaker system. Anyone find all 10 yet and the amp I hear people talk about? Are they hidden in the trunk? I think I've located 6 speakers within the car.
I to have counted only 6 speakers but the factory amp is located in the drivers side part of the trunk removing the carpet panel and getting your hand back there u will find the amp.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:58 AM
Teching In

The stock system is better than a lot of other stock stereos. I'll eventually upgrade it, but it does the job for now.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM kind of cheated when they claimed 10 speakers. The count the coaxials in the rear side panels as 2 each (the built-in tweeter and the driver). Personally, I only count them as 1 each. So, my count is 8 speakers: 2 tweeters in the dash, 2 front door speakers, 2 rear side panel speakers, and 2 rear window shelf bass speakers.

Yes, I still have the stock head unit, but upgraded all my speakers and added two old school Rockford-Fosgate amps (a 4-channel and a 2-channel). I think it sounds great. You'll need to use a couple of LOC to convert the signal to RCA. I can refer you to my low budget home brew install over at LS1GTO if you want (complete with pics).

If you want to power the speakers with the stock HU, then you should use some 2 ohm speakers with high sensitivity like the Infinity Kappa series (6.5" components up front and 6.5" coaxials in the rear side panel). That will improve the sound a whole bunch, but, the bass will still be weak. Several options to mount subs, but I'll leave that for another post.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chance575
they no longer list the gto boxes on their site, sent them a e-mail week or two ago and got no answer.
Updated link. It's under custom, bottom middle of page. LS1GTO.com has a link with better pics and prices, but I can't access from work right now. Will update later.

Price is around $80 each.

Quick Reply: Audio upgrades