Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

LSD only install

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LSD only install

For some reason I cant find any info on this. Im looking to install some sort of limited slip unit (undecided yet) My question is, is it as simple as popping out the axles and removing the carrier, then bolting a new carrier up to the ring gear and re-installing? Since Im not changing the gears I dont have to worry about backlash and clearances right?
Old 09-23-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this in a 9in, if so i just did mine yesterday.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Huh... that was real helpful.

Is it as easy as popping it out and dropping the ring onto the new unit ?? Well... yes and no. Yes it is that easy. But, no there are a few more steps and/or considerations that you should think about.

The ring gear swap is pretty much a no brainer. You should however, install new carrier bearings while you are in this far. Its cheap insurance. The probability of the 'no' is about the lash and carrier pre load.

You will need to check the lash and you may have to reset the pre load... which will require an adjustment. Just because you are replacing one for one, doesnt mean that the machining tolerances are the same. Yes, it will be in the ball park and probably very close... but you might need to make some adjustments.

I am not saying that you will, no matter what, have a need to make adjustments... but you should be made aware of the possibility for an adjustment. Lets hope you dont have too... but honestly, I think you may need to correct the pre load at a minimum. It may be worth it to purchase a super shim kit as well. That way if you had to make an adjustment... you could. And very easily.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool. I have a good gear ratio for a stock V6, so the ring gear isn't an issue. But can I just take the gear/carrier out of the pumpkin and and bolt on a new carrier and re install it? So do I still have to check back lash and pre load even with the same ring gear? Thats my question (sorry).