Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Vibration Driving Me Crazy

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vibration Driving Me Crazy

I'm not sure if this belongs in this section but i've been frustrated with this vibration for years now. First of all I have a 2000 LS1 Camaro SS and I put on adjustable rear lower control arms, adjustable torque arm, lowering springs, adjustable panhard rod, bmr swaybars front and rear with poly links and bushings, powerslot rotors. Now ever since i've had a vibration from like 65 on up but it is really bad right between 70-75 under load(give it gas) but it seems to go away when I let off the gas. I know what your going to say but as of today I basically put the car back to stock to figure out what is causing this vibration- stock torque arm,stock panhard rod, stock springs. The only things that are not stock is the front and rear sway bars, the rear poly bushings but I have the stock rubber links on the rear and poly links on the front. The torque arm bushing at the tranny is brand new-two days old, and the trans. mount is also brand new-1 month old. I thought maybe it was the ujoints but I replaced them both and the vibration is still there. I just balanced the tires and had the wheels checked and they are ok. The rear end seems to be fine. I just don't know where to turn, its driving me crazy. Everytime I get to 70mph and give it some gas the whole car shakes including my seats, pedals, shifter, mirrors, door panels ect. I would be extremely happy if someone could help me out with some advise on how to fix this. The only other thing I can think of is that I need a road force wheel balance but that doesn't explain why the vibration goes away when I let off the gas between 70-75. Any suggestions?
Thanks for any responses, Mike.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Teching In

when you had all the suspension installed did you get a four wheel alignment? i know you said you had the tires balanced but an alignment, from what i was told when i had LCAs installed, is almost necessary.

after i had the road force done it made a big difference.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Launching!

try going the same speed, but in a different gear. I have seen certain situations where a bad motor mount will cause horrendous vibrations at certain loads / speeds. If you are in a different gear and the vibration is the same speed and intensity, then it is certainly drivetrain related.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:31 PM
Banned

Vibrations can be hard to find . As mentioned above , try bringing it up to speed in another gear if a 6 spd car . I'd check the engine mounts as well as the exhaust touching the body at any location . You should have atleast enough room to stick your hand around the pipe . If not thats too close .......
Old 09-29-2007, 02:16 PM
wrencher

Have you put the stock torque arm back in?
A vibration that comes & goes with throttle points to something like the pinion angle etc.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

The above statement is correct! Sounds like you put that adjustable torque arm in and didn't set your pinion angle. This is more than likely your problem.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:31 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He had reinstalled the stock torque arm "I know what your going to say but as of today I basically put the car back to stock to figure out what is causing this vibration- stock torque arm,stock panhard rod, stock springs."

If the car is a six speed, your clutch assembly may be out of balance. We found this to be the problem in a customers car last year, it ruined the harmonic balancer due to the vibration. Same type of symptoms you are describing. Bob