Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless entry/Alarm and starting up

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Keyless entry/Alarm and starting up

I just purchased a 1998 trans am. The battery in the Key FOB is dead and the remote doesnt work. When i open the door the alarm sometimes goes off but it shuts off as soon as I put the key in the ignition.

My problem is that sometimes the car wont start after the alarm goes off. The engine doesnt turn over. I havent had the car too long to notice a pattern, but it only happens when the alarm goes off. (Ive stalled a couple times and it will start up no problem).

Does anyone know if there is a fuel cuttoff switch that engages when the alarm goes off? Its only happened twice, but i dont know if I should be worried about a problem under the hood.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump...someone please answr
Old 09-24-2007, 06:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about your specific alarm, but there was an alarm with remote start installed on my Z28 when I purchased it. It would do odd things intermittently, shut the car off while driving, alarm would go off when opening the door. I ended up having to pay a shop to completely remove the aftermarket system. It was not cheap but it fixed my issues. I was surprised to find out that these aftermarket systems wear out faster than you would like them to, I will never put an aftermarket alarm on any other car I own. Just not worth the headaches down the road in my opinion. Sorry I could not help with specifics. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just get a new CR2032 battery and stick it in your remote. Very easy to do.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

just changed battery, key fob works fine. lets just hope my car turns over fine now.