General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help! Car drops voltage randomly. Its possesed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Car drops voltage randomly. Its possesed!

Well my SS is running strong, but my brother's 35th SS just keeps dying randomly. This is his second battery and alternator in just a year or so. His Volt Gauge stays just over 13volts normally, always has been that way since we picked the car up in Sept 2005 with 45k miles. At times it wanders in down in the red and then comes back up.

So this is what happened recently.

1. His car dies on him when he was trying to park.
2. Then he is driving and he sees his gauge dropping and car dies on the side of the road.
3. Attempts to start dont work(does crank over), then after about 20 minutes it cranks up fine.
4. Stops and puts gas. Again dont start, but cranks over.
5. He managed to get it over to an O'Reily and tested the alternator. Was told it was cranking half the amps. He got another one, put it in and cranked up fine. Then he goes inside, eats, and goes to check it again. Again it wont start, but cranks.

WTF?

Any ideas and will a computer diagnostic scan pick it up?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you guys check the wires while he was down there? Sounds like a short. one of the wires going to it could be exposed. that would be my first guess. even the slightest bare spot could be hitting something metal and shorting.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Buy a new pigtail for the voltage regulator wire that plugs into the top of the alternator and splice it in. Your local dealer will have a universal pigtail for this for about $35. You'll only use 1 of the 4 wires on it - be sure to pay attention to which one is used off the old pigtail.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a wierd voltage issue begining of this summer.

Turned out the wires I ran into the Positive terminal post on the drivers side had a problem. The nut wasnt tight enough, so those + wires were rubbing creating a lot of heat, and damaging the wires!

I ended up replacing the bad wires, then making sure that nut was bolted down tight enough along with a few drops of loctite to keep it in place.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will recheck power wires and in around the alternator. Wont be to next week though, brother just left out of town, but not in his car. Thanks for the input.