Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

started truck...have concerns..LONG!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default started truck...have concerns..LONG!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well, first, i will say that the engine and PCM/harness, came from seperate cars. both out of 2000 camaro's, but different cars. the engine has a crane either 216/224, or 224/224, both 551/551, unsure of LSA. i am unsure of what was done to the car that the harness and PCM came from. hooked up to th350.

i went down the house of the guy that did my install yesterday, and started the truck, finally. the guy called and told me he had it started, said he drove it down the road, and that ran a little rough, but was totally driveable, and would idle.

when i get down there, i start it up, after a bit coughing, it idled fine, and i drove it around his house, to his shop, so we could put my new wheels on. it was driveable, not perfect, but driveable.

we pop the hood, so he could show me where the power steering pump reservoir was cracked. and i notice that the MAF is backwards. he says it was 3:00 A.M. when he finished it all up, and it was dark, so i accept.

we turnt he MAF around, to the correct way, and put the new reservoir on. i start the truck, only briefly due to the brand new power steering line splitting and spewing fluid everywere.

so we clean up a bit, and i go to put the truck on the trailer, and it runs like S**T. after warming up a bit, it will somewhat idle in park or neutral, very rough idle, and once put into gear, it totally gives up.

if i feather the throttle, to keep it running, it will stay running, but VERY rough. and its wierd,when i press the gad pedal, it gives up, but as the pedal is coming back up, depressing, it will get gas, and try to stay running.

i called the guy that is going to do my tune, and he says he thinks it is going to be in the tune, which i hope.

when i first posted a pic of the engine after it was first dropped in, someone noticed that the fuel rail was on backwards. well, the guy that installed it said he did it so he could keep the fule lines on the passenger side of the truck. could that have anything to do with this?

also, i originally bought a IAT sensor, unaware that the harness was for a 5 pin MAF. then found out that i needed a 5 pin MAF, which is installed now. if the IAT sensor was installed and plugged into the harness, could this be the cause? where would this plug be, so i could unplug it tomorrow and see if that was the cause?

why would it run decent with the MAF backward, and then run awful with it put on right?

the truck is at the exhaust shop right now, until tomorrow, to get the LT's hooked into the flowmasters, i am going to try to have it my tuner tomorrow night, and hope that fixes it.

this was a learning experience for both me and the guy that installed the engine, and i was fully aware that there were going to be bugs to be worked out along the way.

anyone that read all of this, i really appreciate any help or advice.

jackye
Old 09-24-2007, 09:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can't possibly expect that thing to run in any decent fashion with no tune and open headers... Your open headers saturate the the 02s which control idle and part throttle fueling with fresh air; the PCM thinks you are lean from seeing all of that air and DUMPS on the fuel.

Relax... get the exhaust done and get it tuned.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I had first started mine it did the whole stumble and almost die deal when you gave it gas (like no pump shot) found out the tune in the pcm had been set up for much larger injectors than the stockers I had. you could get it to rev up but you had to open the throttle and feather it up in rpm. set the injector size and ran like a champ. I was told the eng. had a cam too and the tune would indicate something but, I guess I can't tell for sure. I went to a stock tune and it runs the same (smooth )
Old 09-24-2007, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

good, thanks fellas. feel better now.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

It sounds like it's a bit late but if you want to run it on open headers you could try unplugging the O2 sensors, it'll make the computer run based on just the rpm and it should idle fine.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

thanks, i will try that tomorrow when i try to get it loaded back onto the trailer..

Quick Reply: started truck...have concerns..LONG!