Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers and other Mods! Kooks/QTP/ARH??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 02:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers + Catback... QTP, Kooks, or ARH?

Hello guys! I am going to do my very best to not turn this into a "which header" thread!

My car is basically a 100% stock 2002 M6 Z28 (100k miles), (K+N filter, FRA, Stock catted Y, but w/ new merge, and dump, no flat pipe either...)

I have about $2,500 saved up for car expenses, and I still have my ZZ502 to get rid of sometime soon.

I am ordering my full exhaust in the next week, along with new motor mounts.

Car is a DD in Florida, rain/shine, doesn't matter. I have limited it down to a stainless steel header, XS headers exempt.

Can someone please direct me in the the right direction. Goal is to be a cam only car. Or possibly, Cam and Budget head build.

Cam will be around a 228-232 duration.

Can someone with knowledge and *hopefully* pictures please explain the major differences between QTP, Kooks, and ARH?

I am getting Long tubes, and a ORY.

1) Who makes the best ORY (Merge wise?) *any pictures of the 3 side by side? Or 3 seperate pictures?

2) What size do I need? 1-3/4", 1-7/8" inch, or Kooks new 2"?

3) Do all 3 brands make all 3 above sizes?

4) Can I get a brief Idea of when to use the above sizes? Ex. 1-3/4 = stock internals? 1-7/8" = Cam/heads? 2" = Boosted?

5) Is price wise, in order of, QTP < Kooks < ARH?

6) Please rate how they fit, and quality as well, if you can!

~~~ Now for a catback... ~~~

I would naturally go for True Duals... But I am tired of having a loud car... My 3rd gen ZZ502 had Long tubes, with 18" of pipe, then mufflers, dumped...

I want a fairly quiet Idle/Cruise (Keep in mind cam is in the next month or 2) But I want a very deep quality sound at WOT.

I am leaning towards Magnaflow, but it seems like a lot of people are upset after getting it.

And last but not least... What will I need for the exhaust install? I don't want to half a$$ things. Header Studs, Poly Motor mounts, New 02 Sensors, and Do I need 02 Extensions? I dont need the 2nd pair, since I am going ORY...

Thanks guys! I thoroughly apologize for the length of this... But everytime I search, I find people asking about QTP/KOOKS, and I see 500 people post... "Pacesetters are best bang for the buck!"

Its like me asking about a procharger in FI section, and people posting "Nitrous is a better bang for buck!"

Last edited by BigB02Z28; 09-26-2007 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Accidently submitted post before finished.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:12 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I have not run a stainless header before, but from what I know with Kooks and QTP it is a 50/50 mix on "I like" or "dislike". If I had to pick it would be a set of QTP's. They look cleaner right out of the box and I love the design of their HVMC.

However, I have installed both on a few occaisions. (Working for a shop that does lots of LS1 business is like "header central") The QTP's definitely seemed to have an easier fit than the Kooks. Some of them you do have to clearance a stock K-member, but it was never a sure thing one way or another.

Stick with 1-3/4 even if you are heads and cam. MAYBE 1-7/8's if you are stout heads and large cam or possibly 382 cid+ . You will need the extensions with this setup. I would always get the 24" just because you never know. Anyway, a 2" primary is made for a BBC or SB2. You will have crap scavenging with that on a stock cubed LS1. Probably be running into clearance issues under the hood as well.

As far as your Y-pipe goes...Get a custom built Y. It will not bang and it will tuck waaaay better than most of the other off the shelfers.

Magnaflow or B&B are probably the 2 that I would run if I wasn't already true dualed. They are tame in the car and sound great at WOT.

That is all I can think of ATM but if I have anything new to add I will post it later.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response orange peel.

I ran a 1 7/8" with my 502.

I have run open headers on a few vehicles for a very short period of time... But they were all carbed. How will running open headers affect these cars? (Meaning, messing with the o2 sensors).

If I get a custom Y-pipe, there is probably only 1 or 2 shops in a 45 minute to 1 hour drive from my house.

If I am going to have them Fab up a Y-pipe, Should I even bother with a cat-back? Or just buy a muffler and have them do something?

How loud would you rate True duels for in-cabin noise? I drive 90% of the time with windows down. (Don't even know why I just spent the 600 bucks for redoing the AC, LOL). I hate being on the phone and not being able to hear what I am saying, let alone what the other person is saying.

If I go the Shop route, Who mays the best 2-1 Merge for a Y-pipe? and also, who makes a good X-pipe section?

Thanks!

** Forgot to add.... If you recommend the QTP for the HVMC, then what does Kooks/ARH use? I been trying to look at a few sponsors page's for pictures. But they aren't all that great for "research aspect".
Old 09-26-2007, 06:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't count out ARH... I've yet to hear a complaint from them, they also use the merge similar to QTP. I wouldn't run open headers any longer than you absolutely need to. As for true dual noise in cabin? It's subjective. Mine are dumped and personally, I don't find it too loud at all. Others say it is completely unbearable. My advice, dump 'em first, and if you don't like it, you can run 'em out the back. Good luck.

-J