Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Switch flywheel without changing clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switch flywheel without changing clutch

I tried several search combinations and couldn't find anyone who has already asked this specific question. So here it goes.

I have a 2002 LS1 M6 T/A. After swapping out the stock clutch, I went to an aluminum flywheel which I got used to. Since then, I've upgraded again to the LS7/LS2 flywheel combo because the previous one had started slipping. Here's the issue, I like how it holds but HATE the extra weight. Car feels like a slug compared to what I was used to.

The LS7/LS2 have only 8,000 give or take miles on them, no track time and 90% highway driving. I'd like to swap out the LS2 fw and put a Fidanza alum in there, but keep the rest of it since it's in reasonably new condition.

What concerns me is that since a wear pattern already exists between surfaces, it may be detrimental to put a brand new flywheel surface in there without changing out the clutch itself (because of the existing wear pattern).

Would a new wear pattern be created successfully between the new flywheel and clutch if driven lightly for a few hundred miles?

Does anyone recommend against it? If not a good idea, please say why you think so?

Last edited by BigBirdTA; 09-28-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Anyone?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

I'm pretty sure someone's tried this before. I just want to know what's the results. Worked OK or didn't.

I'd hate to swap out a near-new LS7 clutch or worse, ruin a brand new Aluminum flywheel.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did a similar swap only I took my Aluminum Fidanza out after about 1000 miles because I had a vibration. It seems fine now. Read the fine print on the aftermarket flywheels. Most of them are not balanced and despite what they may claim, the inserts need a proper surface ground into them or they will chatter and the disc will not bed properly. I learned this the hard way. You might want to consider billet steel as another option.

Quick Reply: Switch flywheel without changing clutch