Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

WARNING: All Camaro PROJECTOR headlight owners need to read this...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 02:25 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default WARNING: All Camaro PROJECTOR headlight owners need to read this...

Well, another flaw has been found. Again, one that is a simple fix ESPECIALLY if you catch it BEFORE it happens...

Here's the deal. I went to FINALLY wire the Halo part of the headlights up tonight. I previously had Halos and had them wired to my Nitrous (arm the nitrous, Halos come on). I had disconnected the wire, done an Ebony swap (dash included) and long story short the wire was buried...

After finally getting it all re-wired and wired up I throw the switch and the driver side halos come on and the passenger side halos do NOT ...

I hardwired them to check my own wiring and it was the headlight, not the wiring. I double check my REJECT mod and it was correct as well.

So, I pulled the f@wking headlight off AGAIN (did it many times figuring out the adjustment mod) to see if I can figure out what is wrong with it while waiting for a response from the company.

Long story short the box/converter that converts the power supply to what the LED's/Halos needs was swimming in water (I had just washed the car).

I took it apart in hopes drying it off would make it work and, again long story short, it did What I learned and want to pass on is that the box that holds these IS NOT SEALED.

All they did was coat the electronics is some goop. The connectors inside the box were actually what were extremely wet as well probably causing the problems.

SO, I HIGHLY recommend you guys coat the outside seam of the box with hot glue or some other sealant or you'll be like me. For those of you with problems already here's how I fixed mine:

Here's the culprit, just pry it off the headlight (just held on with double sided tape)...

Pryed it apart from each side (where the wires go in) with a knife (the plastic on the inside snaps when you do this)...

Disconnected the wires from the circuit board (they plug in)...

and blow dryed everything...

Then I put it all back together (snaps back together and stays in place despite the breaking that was done when it was pryed apart) and wrapped it in electrical tape to sort of seal it for now (I'll probably hot glue it later,need to buy a gun and then retape it just for good measure) and stuck it back on using 3M double sided tape...

Again, if you don't have any problems NOW IS THE TIME TO SEAL THAT LITTLE BOX UP BEFORE YOU DO !!!
Old 09-29-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

instead of going thru the trouble of buying a glue gun, why not just get a tube of sealant?
walmart sells "Liquid Nails" brand "Clear Seal". Only a couple bucks and wont yellow or come apart. I used it to reseal my headlights after doing the whistler mod
Old 09-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by onyxxtreme
instead of going thru the trouble of buying a glue gun, why not just get a tube of sealant?
walmart sells "Liquid Nails" brand "Clear Seal". Only a couple bucks and wont yellow or come apart. I used it to reseal my headlights after doing the whistler mod
I was going to get the glue gun because I needed it for something else but now I forgot what !
Old 09-29-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
I was going to get the glue gun because I needed it for something else but now I forgot what !

Thanks for the info man. My friend has these lights on her car, and it usually has to sit out in the rain, so I better nip this in the butt before hers stop working.

Tell me more about the "get it to fit" mod that you mentioned please. When I put her headlights in, they fit fine at first, but that was because the adjustment screws were set in such a way that the lights were pointing way down. Once I set them so that you can actually see something, the gap between the lights and the front bumper cover became HUGE! Any ideas how to fix that?

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2007, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

That's so weird, my halos don't have a exposed box like that....
Old 09-30-2007, 05:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

different Halos ^
Old 10-01-2007, 03:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MannyZ28
Thanks for the info man. My friend has these lights on her car, and it usually has to sit out in the rain, so I better nip this in the butt before hers stop working.

Tell me more about the "get it to fit" mod that you mentioned please. When I put her headlights in, they fit fine at first, but that was because the adjustment screws were set in such a way that the lights were pointing way down. Once I set them so that you can actually see something, the gap between the lights and the front bumper cover became HUGE! Any ideas how to fix that?

Thanks!
Here you go:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/784192-how-fix-poorly-fitting-adjusting-projector-headlights.html