Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear Diff oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Diff oil change

whats a good mileage to change this at? i just had it changed today at 46k miles it was almost black and had metal shavings in it
Old 10-01-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should be an interesting thread...

In reality, I say you dont need to change it. I mean... I have serviced OE 1955 torque tube differentials and put the original oil back into it... because you cant get an oil that is that good anymore. Yeah... it smells like warmed over death... but the old whale oil is hardcore.

I used Schaffers #209, in a straigt weight 140, when I assembled my 12 bolt (I think that was some 273,000 miles ago, back in 1993)... and the only reason I even went into the diff was to re-shim the posi and decided to up the weight of the lube and monitor the temperature differences between the two.

Anyway... I would say if you just wanted to do it for peace of mind... 25-50k for hard use... 50-75k if its driven fairly hard... and 75-100k if its just a getter. But then again... it depends on the oil that is being used.

Quick Reply: Rear Diff oil change