Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Need LS7 Clutch install help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need LS7 Clutch install help

I am having my dealer install a LS7 Clutch in my O6 GTO. I know I need the parts listed here: LS7 clutch,pressure plate and flywheel.
F body slave cylinder and pilot bearing.

I am wondering if there is anything else the dealer would need to know. They said the Vett tranny has some hoses and the GTO does not. Are these important to the success of the install????? Thank you ahead of time.
Go ARMY!!!!
Old 10-04-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey dude, just used an LS7 pressure plate and friction disk set with the LS7 flywheel. Had 25k on my car, and never changed thre slave. Just flushed the fluid. If you need something, I am close. Shoot me a PM or something.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

If the dealer don't know how to do it, I'd find another dealer. Its a straight forward swap. The F bod slave is not a direct bolt in. I believe you need to put the line from the GTO slave to the F Bod slave.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Woops, i forgot to mention that. The F body slave does need the old line from the GTO slave to make it fit. Very easy to do.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:50 AM
12 Second Club

scoogin dickeys sells the kit! thats where i bought mine, hemieter is right if they need a parts list have someone else do it. i did mine in my buddies gargage (he had the keys to our tool crib) i had to buy an ls2 flywheel and a slave and i got a remote bleeder too! from black2002ws6 on this forum.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i understand the ls7 flywheel is quite a bit heavier...can you use the ls2 flywheel instead? I assume its lighter?
Old 10-05-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The ls7 clutch pack with the flywheel is 7-9 lbs heavier than the stock LS1,2 setup. You have to use the correct LS7 flywheel to make everything work properly. I have yet to see a company make either a lighter SFI steel flywheel. Or an aluminum flywheel for the LS7 setup.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:43 AM
Teching In

scoggin dickeys sells the kit! thats where i bought mine, hemieter is right if they need a parts list have someone else do it. i did mine in my buddies gargage (he had the keys to our tool crib) i had to buy an ls2 flywheel
I went the website and they sell the LS7 with the LS2 flywheel. I am assuming that its ok to use vs the LS7 Flywheel.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I want to say the Vette LS2 flywheel might work. But it is better to be safe and get the correct LS7 type flywheel.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

I have done this mod and it is a very simple bolt on swap. For the GTO, you do need to get the C6 flywheel for the clutch to bolt up. I got the Fidanza aluminum flywheel from http://www.ultrarev.com. It made the overall set-up 7.5 lbs lighter than the stock set-up. You must buy the C6 flywheel for the LS2/LS7 engines. It is different form the GTO in a big way. It is refered to as the pedistal style mounting flywheel. http://www.sdparts.com sells the whole kit for around $400. It is the steel flywheel however but I'm sure those guys will let you pay the difference for the aluminum one.

I believe Spec also makes a stock replacement aluminum flywheel.

It will be low on the floor at first but will get better as you drive. Weird I know but it did and everyone told me the same but I couldn't figure out how that was possible. Now it grips much beter and has a very soft pedal feel.

As far as other things to be done while doing this. If money permitting, I recomend getting a one peice driveshaft and a better shifter since you'll have have access to both at that time.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:04 AM
12 Second Club

Old 10-10-2007, 03:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lynmup
I have done this mod and it is a very simple bolt on swap. For the GTO, you do need to get the C6 flywheel for the clutch to bolt up. I got the Fidanza aluminum flywheel from http://www.ultrarev.com. It made the overall set-up 7.5 lbs lighter than the stock set-up. You must buy the C6 flywheel for the LS2/LS7 engines. It is different form the GTO in a big way. It is refered to as the pedistal style mounting flywheel. http://www.sdparts.com sells the whole kit for around $400. It is the steel flywheel however but I'm sure those guys will let you pay the difference for the aluminum one.

It will be low on the floor at first but will get better as you drive. Weird I know but it did and everyone told me the same but I couldn't figure out how that was possible. Now it grips much beter and has a very soft pedal feel.

As far as other things to be done while doing this. If money permitting, I recomend getting a one peice driveshaft and a better shifter since you'll have have access to both at that time.
what he said. i ordered mine and got it like 2 days later, if your not sure just call them thats what i did. to bad you didint live closer to sheppard i would just help you put it in. there is a how to thread on ls1gto. thats what i used...... helped out alot.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what about balancing, doesn't everything have to be balanced as an assembly?
How do you do that if you buy the clutch from one place and a lighter flywheel from somewhere else?
Old 10-11-2007, 08:50 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Steel Chicken
How do you do that if you buy the clutch from one place and a lighter flywheel from somewhere else?
i just stayed with the ls2 flywheel,
Old 10-12-2007, 06:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Steel Chicken
With the LS7 clutch and Fadanza aluminum flywheel, I had no balancing/vibration issues at all. I've had her up to 163 (professional driver, closed course) and she was as smooth as butter.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Teching In

My car is at the dealer and they are trying to get me for $1100 in parts for the switch to the LS7 clutch. They said the master slave cylinder is $300 + and the flywheel is like $400. Why do I feel like they are on crack......... Do I need to change the slave cylinder?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

dude they are trying to bone you.......

just buy the kit and then take it to them. labor is really going to bone you too but it sounds like you are a lil scared of doing it yourself. not sure what you do in the military but i hope its not maint.

but here it is again http://www.sdparts.com/product/SDLS7...cFlywheel.aspx your really gonna love the clutch, i know i do!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lynmup

I've bought the same set up. Car is at dealer now. LS7 pressure plate and clutch arrived today from gmpartshouse (S-D had slightly better pricing, but weren't in stock.). The Fidanza aluminum flywheel weighs 12.4lbs (per bathroom scale). Ultrarev dot com had the best pricing on the flywheel. I'm going to have the assembly balanced tomorrow at a local machine shop. Good luck,
wanablaze.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Teching In

I got the car back from the shop and ordered the Fidanza flywheel and the LS7 clutch plate and disc from SDParts. They have to order it but I dont mind the waiting. I am going with the dealer because I don't have the time to install this + I got a $50 and hour rate instead of the going $80. It pays to know the manager. Anyway and I am medical in the army not maint.

Carbo........Why did you have to change the slave? How many miles were on the car when you changed the clutch. SDParts told me I dont need to change it seeing how my car only has 19k miles.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:47 PM
On the tree

As long as the GTO has the newer slave I personally would not mess with changing it unless it is defective, otherwise you are just wasting money.

The LS7 clutch kit uses a LS2 flywheel and the LS7 pressure plate and clutch. I did this exact setup in my 2001 Formula before I sold it. It grips alot better than the LS6 setup that comes stock on the late model F-bodies and GTO's. Like was said it will engage right off of the floor until it breaks in some. Take it easy on it for the first 500 miles to allow the clutch to break in and then dont look back.

I could get 3rd gear wheel spin with the LS7 combo and almost 4th if the road was right.

Also like was said the LS7 setup is about 10 pounds heavier than the LS6 setup.

Quick Reply: Need LS7 Clutch install help