Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Come in if you've rebuilt your T56 yourself

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Come in if you've rebuilt your T56 yourself

I'm consittering rebuilding my T56 to add better syncros and steel shift forks etc. It dosen't have any problems and only has 34k on it. I'd just like it to shift better. I rebuilt a T176 4 speed in my jeep a bunch of years ago without too much trouble. Thinking about doing it myself to save money but don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Re'
Old 10-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Banned

Well its more complicated than the T176 Jeep trans but not too bad . I think the biggest difference is having the right tools for the job and a lot more moving parts than the one you built . Those units are very basic and all the shifting is contained in the shift top . The bearings are roller style and require no shimming .

If you are not afraid to jump in , go to Tremecs website , down load the spec and build sheets , have a clean place to work and double the estimated time you think it will take you to tear it down and rebuild it .
Old 10-07-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone else???
Old 10-07-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

I'm smack dab in the middle of the process myself. It's pretty straightforward and hard to goof up (so far! ). You just need a very good set of snap ring pliers (pin ~0.35) and lock ring pliers (with a 6" or 7" handle for leverage). You can make the pullers and installers yourself with simple parts available from Home Depot, et. al. (you can do a search on this forum to find them). If you are mechanically inclined, take your time and give yourself enough space to work, it should be relatively easy and fun for you.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

I think you'll be able to handle it given your previous rebuild. I didn't have any experience working on transmissions (besides changing the oil) before I did my rebuild on my own. Although, I do have a bit of experience working on cars. As long as you're a bit mechanically inclined, you have the proper tools, and a good handbook, you should be ok.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, the Jeep trans was actually a PITA. All work was inside the case with limited access. The T56 looks easier as the gearset comes out of the case.

Re'

Quick Reply: Come in if you've rebuilt your T56 yourself