Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 - A bad decision?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy LS7 - A bad decision?

My clutch in the T/A recently took a dump, so I went and bought the LS7 kit w/ new slave and all. I bought the car with the current clutch, so I had no idea what it had in it. Well, I pulled the old clutch out yesterday and it turns out I had a SPEC Stg. 3 with their aluminum flywheel. I was kinda hesitant about the weight of the LS7 to begin with, but now I'm afraid I won't like the extra mass compared to the SPEC setup. Do you guys think I made a bad decision with buying the LS7 clutch kit?
Old 10-08-2007, 12:18 PM

Thats a tough call ......
Old 10-08-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, you won't regret it.

my spec 3 was a total POS, chattered, slipped, and had poor engaugement. and I wish the LS7 was available when I put it in, after going to the LS7 clutch, I enjoy driving the car again.

Ryan
Old 10-08-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm with Slow on this one. I had the Spec 3 in my Z06 w/ aluminum flywheel, and ABSOLUTELY DESPISED IT. It made driving the car a chore. It gripped fine...but engagement was a flip of the coin and it chattered unbelievably. Will never own another one.

Between those 2 options, the LS7 is definitely the way to go.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

I have none of that with my Spec 3,,,,a lil chatter when its cold out but other than that, hooks like a dream, and i dont feel like im going to go through the floor with those weak feeling clutches. It is a stout clutch to use as mentioned above,,not the easiest clutch to use. I have never used a LS7 clutch, but all other stockers i have stomped on just feel like there is nothing there compared to my brute feeling Spec. Good Luck!
Old 10-08-2007, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my LS7 clutch & won't put anything else in until I exceed its holding power. I actually like the extra weight cause it make the higher RPM shifts smoother.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

The LS7 clutch is great for what it is, a stock clutch that can take some power and drives great. It isnt going to handle abuse like an aftermarket clutch will though once you start doing lots of clutch dumps especially if you have sticky tires..
Old 10-08-2007, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ebbsnflows
I'm with Slow on this one. I had the Spec 3 in my Z06 w/ aluminum flywheel, and ABSOLUTELY DESPISED IT. It made driving the car a chore. It gripped fine...but engagement was a flip of the coin and it chattered unbelievably. Will never own another one.

Between those 2 options, the LS7 is definitely the way to go.
That's exactly how mine was! The car was an on/off switch and I just didn't like driving it. When I pulled it, all of the springs were broke and I could see where pieces of spring got flung around and scarred up some stuff. I reckon I'm gonna put the LS7 in and actually enjoy driving the car. When I put the N2O on it down the road, I'll put the aluminum f/w back in with a new friction plate and clutch.

Quick Reply: LS7 - A bad decision?