Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

383 timing trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 383 timing trouble

a buddy of mine has a 383 with a complete msd ignition - pro billet distributor, digital 6 box and hvc coil. he just did a cam swap and had it on the dyno yesterday to get the air/fuel checked and make a couple nitrous pulls.

they checked the timing before making the bottle pulls and it right at 34* at 3500 rpm. then they revved it to 4000 and the timing started bouncing all over the place (back to 34 to 40 to 37 to 42 etc) without changing rpm from 4000. the distributor was tight and nothing was changed.

any idea what this could be? it was suggested it could be the distributor gear, but we didn't get to pull the distributor. anyone else seen this before? any ideas?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is he running the mechanical advance or does he have it locked out? also the timing chain "moves" a little bit at higher rpms. if it gets to be a problem,lock out the mechanical advance and put a crank trigger on it and it will be gone
Old 10-10-2007, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

mechanical advance. i guess he pulled the distributor last night and the gear didn't look that good after all.

now that i think about it, he's got the timing cover on there with the adjustable button installed in it....you just turn it in or out from the outside of the cover. anyone ever used one of those, you think it could be allowing the chain to move around a little too much?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crazycamaro496
mechanical advance. i guess he pulled the distributor last night and the gear didn't look that good after all.

now that i think about it, he's got the timing cover on there with the adjustable button installed in it....you just turn it in or out from the outside of the cover. anyone ever used one of those, you think it could be allowing the chain to move around a little too much?
I'm running the Cloyes cover that you described and have had no problems. It's top of the line and if installed and adjusted PROPERLY it should have no problems. Did he check his dist gear wear pattern before running the engine?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

We have seen that before on some Snap on type timing lights, At our shop and the customers that run our engines we have them use the timing light from Flame River thats a one wire timing light, Make sure the balancer is degreed.

Most timing lights are made for setting the timing at idle.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

I think it was a Snap On digital timing light. I'll mention that. thanks
Old 10-11-2007, 05:53 AM
Staging Lane

Roller cam or flat tappet?

Remember, roller's need a bronze gear!