Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is my clutch bad or could it just be the slave cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my clutch bad or could it just be the slave cylinder?

Well I thought my ram stage 4 clutch was going out. I bought the car and the previous owner only put 1200 miles on it. He broke it in the 500 mile period. He replaced the master with a new one, but left the old slave in. He however had a 2001-02 slave for me which he said he was waiting for the old one to go out. Since I bought the car it seemed to slip a tad in each gear. Couple days ago it got bad. I will let out on the clutch and it takes 2500-3k rpm for the car to take off from a light. I did the 5th gear test and the car was able to take off in 5th. However in every gear if I stomp it the rpm's rise. Would a bad slave contribute to these problems? The clutch only has like 2300 miles on it. I granny drive it everywhere and the previous owner only put 1200 miles on the car in 3 years of owning it. I'm hoping that I don't have to replace the Ram since I haven't put it to use yet.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Teching In

By the way I searched, but all I come up with is the pedal sticking to the floor when the slave is bad.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Well I took the car out for a minute to see what it's doing. I can let the clutch out completely in first gear and give it no gas and it runs. Then I just hit the gas when the light turns green and go. Same thing for reverse I just let the clutch out then hit the gas. Is the clutch bad or is this the slave?
Old 10-12-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judging from a friend's experience, replace the slave.

His slave went out, and he didn't know until it broke halfshafts in his T5.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The slave could be work out and leaking on your clutch which is causing the clutch to slip. Only way to know for sure is to pull the trans and look at the slave and clutch.

Quick Reply: Is my clutch bad or could it just be the slave cylinder?