Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise

Hey everyone. I have a 01 SS with about 56,000 miles. The problem i have is a knocking sound coming from the motor. It sound like its coming from the passenger side. At an idle the noise is still there but it only gets really bad at about 2k rpm then seams to go away(or at least a bit quieter) If i could get some help with this that would be good. Also some times when i go to start my car ill get like a back fire and then the car will stall but if i get it a little gas and it will start fine I had it taken in for both issues and it was not tripping any sensors. Im new to the ls1 and im not sure what it might be
Old 10-14-2007, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

sounds like a rod knock. or a rocker. but i would be leaning towards a rod knock. is it really loud?
Old 10-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Teching In

it is at about 2 grand. I can hear it inside the car driving its really bad in first gear though.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

yeah, my bet is a rod knock. i wouldnt drive it much untill i find out for sure what it is. if it is a rod knock you dont wanna drive it to where it knocks a hole in the block. that, and the more you drive it the more damage you will end up doing, in otherwords, right now the problem maybe in your bottom end, but it could spread to your heads, and then its gonna get even more expensive
Old 10-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Alright ill look at that thanks for the help