Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What causes this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What causes this?

Okay i thought my cat was going bad, it had this god awful buzzsaw like sound at 2-2200 rpm, but today my car at a stop light just randomly idled really rough, and then when i tried to go, nothing happened, gas was fully in and car didnt move, turned it off and back on, check gages was on, and seemed like the engine wasnt moving. let it sit for a second and it cranked over fine and i was able to pull out, but when i did the car seemed to jerk real hard (heard this is also a symptom of a bad cat) and a noticble loss in power trying to pull out in traffic., check gages went off once the car was moivng. It seems like the buzz saw sound at 2k rpm has gone aswell.. Could all this be caused by the cat?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

that big red light that says check gauges means something is ******* up, or you are low on gas. what did your gauges say?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PonyTamr
Okay i thought my cat was going bad, it had this god awful buzzsaw like sound at 2-2200 rpm, but today my car at a stop light just randomly idled really rough, and then when i tried to go, nothing happened, gas was fully in and car didnt move, turned it off and back on, check gages was on, and seemed like the engine wasnt moving. let it sit for a second and it cranked over fine and i was able to pull out, but when i did the car seemed to jerk real hard (heard this is also a symptom of a bad cat) and a noticble loss in power trying to pull out in traffic., check gages went off once the car was moivng. It seems like the buzz saw sound at 2k rpm has gone aswell.. Could all this be caused by the cat?

Check gauges means it could be 1 of four things. 1. NO GAS which you should check. 2. Battery voltage...low battery or bad alt. 3. temperature was HOT as hell. 4. Oil PSI. No oil pressure.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

thats the thing :\ all my gages are fine, oil pressure is fine, just got gas not but 50 miles ago (full tank), the check gages only came on once the car had stalled, once i let it sit for no even 30 seconds, maybe 10 seconds, and crank it over, it started and went fine. battery volt meter reads right in the middle, im at a loss, but ima take it to the shop that did the work on it (the day i let them do the work, is the day everything started ******* up)
Old 10-18-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

check gauges came on cause it died then lol.

what did the shop do?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

but ima take it to the shop that did the work on it (the day i let them do the work, is the day everything started ******* up)
Ohhhhh, that doesnt sound good. I hope they didnt screw with somehting they werent supposed to. What work did you have done to it that day??
Old 10-18-2007, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

it needed some welds, put new breaks and rotors on it, just simple stuff but since that day my car started acting up, they removed one of the U rings holding the exaust :\ i know that for sure, other than that i dont know what they might have done.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Teching In

could be clogged fuel filter/ line could be the cause, the sudden start up finnally blew the cheese outta the line or filter then went..
Old 10-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Teching In

just a suggestion
Old 10-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Teching In

there i go not reading the whole thread.. hmmm interesting
Old 10-20-2007, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

describe this sound some more. could be a clogged cat, but i doubt it.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

to update you guys, i have had the last 2 days off work and school due to fall break and was able to get to the bottom of it, we checked the cat and it was fine, checked plugs/wires they where fine, checked the fuel filter and OH MY GOD. ( i recently just bought this car off a camaro collector) and.. the fuel filter was so disgustingly clogged i have no idea how the car even drove. Replaced that and then i went to checking for the sound since it wasnt the cat, well evidetly one of the bolts had came loose on the exaust and that was rattling and making the grinding noise. Car runs great now, better than befor :S honestly i wihs i would have taken a picture of the fuel filter.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:50 PM
11 Second Club

glad you got to the bottom of your problems. Now you can get back to taming the ponies. Did you seafoam it recently without changing the fuel filter?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice cheap fix. Thank God thats all it was. Whenever my car makes a sound it usually sounds like kaaaaching!!! Mo money!!
Old 10-22-2007, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

i myself didnt seafoam it but im planning on it now that i saw that poor fuel filter lol
Old 10-22-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

to update you guys, i have had the last 2 days off work and school due to fall break and was able to get to the bottom of it, we checked the cat and it was fine, checked plugs/wires they where fine, checked the fuel filter and OH MY GOD. ( i recently just bought this car off a camaro collector) and.. the fuel filter was so disgustingly clogged i have no idea how the car even drove. Replaced that and then i went to checking for the sound since it wasnt the cat, well evidetly one of the bolts had came loose on the exaust and that was rattling and making the grinding noise. Car runs great now, better than befor :S honestly i wihs i would have taken a picture of the fuel filter.
did it look like black silky **** coming out when you dumped the fuel filter? i had the same problem, lost hella gas mileage and lost a race to a new GT mustang with exhuast. and some people think that a clogged fuel filter wont affect your gas mileage or power to the ground . . .i wont mention his dumbass name at this time. glad to hear it was only the fuel filter
Old 10-23-2007, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

took it to my friends shop and ran a scan on it, its still throwing a lean code and after idling a bit it starts to idle real rough again, think the injectors might be clogged so i through some injector cleaner in there and hopefully dont have to get them cleaned.