Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

pilot bearing removal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pilot bearing removal?

I'm helping my buddy install a new clutch and flywheel and all that good stuff? We got to the pilot bearing and were having a hell of a time getting it out. anyone have any suggestions or tips on getting this thing out. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rented a blind hole puller from Autozone - it's basically a slide hammer with different attachments on the end. They have a pilot bearing removal tool, and they'll try to make you rent it, but insist on the blind hole puller. Costs about $150 to rent, but you get it all back when you return it.

I also had to get the pilot bearing super cold before it would even budge. I got a can of compressed air and just turned it upside down - instant supercooled vapor. Just freeze the ***** off the bearing, and the puller should make short work of it.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used a slide hammer with an attachment on the end that will grab onto the bearing. Or you can cut it out.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grifter
I used a slide hammer with an attachment on the end that will grab onto the bearing. Or you can cut it out.

Yup, we used a slide hammer with a hook attatchment, worked quite fine.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1_Disciple
I rented a blind hole puller from Autozone - it's basically a slide hammer with different attachments on the end. They have a pilot bearing removal tool, and they'll try to make you rent it, but insist on the blind hole puller. Costs about $150 to rent, but you get it all back when you return it.

I also had to get the pilot bearing super cold before it would even budge. I got a can of compressed air and just turned it upside down - instant supercooled vapor. Just freeze the ***** off the bearing, and the puller should make short work of it.
I also used the blind hole puller, worked good.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blind hole pullers and slide hammers work ideally. Personally, I use a very sharp chisel and my air hammer! I got tired of putzing around with pilot bearings long, long ago and now make short work of them. Obviously much care must be used when using that tactic, be wary of damaging the crankshaft for certain!

g

Quick Reply: pilot bearing removal?