Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

do i need sail panel subs? please help with my system

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question do i need sail panel subs? please help with my system

hey guys i have a question. in my camaro i have a higher end alpine head unit,alpine 50wx4,350wx1 amps,alpine new model type r 10 in a mtx thunderform box. memphis 6 3/4 coaxials in the sail panels and an mb quart 6 1/2 componet set in the front. would it sound better to get a set of sail panel subs? i seen the elemental designs subs and i found some kickers on ebay. the kickers are cheaper. how would i power them? i was thinking about runing a set of 4's in the hatch for rear fill and i can run those off the head unit and the subs off the 4 channel or i still have the monsoon amp hooked up its just unpluged so can i do like i said above and run the subs off the monsoon and now that im thinking about it i can also run the 4's and the subs off the monsoon amp and bridge the 4 channel the my componet set in the front. what do you guys think? the type r hits real good and i have plenty of bass but its like im missing mids.i like to keep most of the bass away from the componet set so the dont get muddy. let me know guys and sorry for the long post.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, your MB Quart components should handle midbass duties fine, especially since your running an aftermarket 4 channel amp to them. They shouldn't get muddy. My CDT's stay tight delivering great midbass even at high volume with aftermarket power. If you need to add midbass to the sails for a bridge between the sub and the components I have CDT CL-E6 midbass drivers for $99.00 a pair that would sound great (way better than the Kickers and about even with the eD's for sound quality). If you really want more, then the CDT M-6 midwoofer is it. They are some of the best sounding midbass drivers available and are $220.00 for the pair (they are normally $299.00). No spacers required for either of these and they both love power. They keep their clarity at high volume.
I'd run the doors and sails off the 4 channel and the sub from the monoblock. Skip the hatch speakers until you've heard this set up first. The hatch speakers won't even be heard if your other speakers are doing their job right and actually interfere with your front stage by drawing it toward the rear if they are heard. Hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:27 AM

Absolutely correct. If you set it up right, the staging should come mostly from the front speakers. The hatch speakers are worthless, and if you have a sub, it will cancel out any sound from the hatch speakers. Furthermore, since the hatch speakers are "free floating" (having nothing to mount in) the response is going to be garbage.... The best thing you can do for sound quality is to spend the money on a good amp and a good front component set up.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

if you have a good set of front speakers and enough power going to them, i don't even think you need the sail panel speakers at all, and definitely not the rear hatch speakers.

i'm running an infinity 6.5" component set up front with 75w/channel, along with a 10" sub w/200w, and it sounds great. the sail panels, in my opinion, would ony draw away from the front soundstage.

i used to have 50w/channel up front, and it wasn't enough. i upgraded to 75w, and it was like night & day. 100w up front would probably be like sonic nirvana, if my speakers would handle it....unfortunately, they don't.

i'm also thinking of getting rid of my head unit that only puts out 2.5v on the preamp outputs, and getting a different one that puts out 4v or 5v instead....that should also make a difference in sound output as well, allowing me to turn the gain down on the amp and turn the volume up higher with less distortion
Old 10-29-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
if you have a good set of front speakers and enough power going to them, i don't even think you need the sail panel speakers at all, and definitely not the rear hatch speakers.

i'm running an infinity 6.5" component set up front with 75w/channel, along with a 10" sub w/200w, and it sounds great. the sail panels, in my opinion, would ony draw away from the front soundstage.

i used to have 50w/channel up front, and it wasn't enough. i upgraded to 75w, and it was like night & day. 100w up front would probably be like sonic nirvana, if my speakers would handle it....unfortunately, they don't.

i'm also thinking of getting rid of my head unit that only puts out 2.5v on the preamp outputs, and getting a different one that puts out 4v or 5v instead....that should also make a difference in sound output as well, allowing me to turn the gain down on the amp and turn the volume up higher with less distortion
I have a 12 sub out back and the rear speaks and front speaks on radio and the said panel speakers are blown and i can't hear clear voice unless i lower the bass. I don't have an amp on the front speakers but after reading what you wrote i think i'd be better off just getting another amp to the front speakers. They are Kenwood with tweeters they are heavly under powered by the car radio.

The other weekend went out to a club with some friends and in his buddies car he had 6x9s that sounds way cleaner then my system and the bass was barly noticalbe but the cleanness of the music was great. This is the type of sound i want including the bass.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98boxer
I have a 12 sub out back and the rear speaks and front speaks on radio and the said panel speakers are blown and i can't hear clear voice unless i lower the bass. I don't have an amp on the front speakers but after reading what you wrote i think i'd be better off just getting another amp to the front speakers. They are Kenwood with tweeters they are heavly under powered by the car radio.

The other weekend went out to a club with some friends and in his buddies car he had 6x9s that sounds way cleaner then my system and the bass was barly noticalbe but the cleanness of the music was great. This is the type of sound i want including the bass.
yep...with very few exceptions, the head unit power = ****. if you really want to hear the fronts, give them as much juice as you can without overdriving them, you'll love the difference.