Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sirius Reception Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sirius Reception Issues

A while ago I hard wired a SIR-PAN1 receiver to my Panasonic head unit. No FM transmission nonsense here. I wanted to avoid the static and interference one faces when there's not a direct connection to the head unit.

However, for some reason, some stations come in crystal clear and others are plagued by static. I know I shouldn't be getting static at all with a satellite signal. The antenna is in a good place and the cord isn't pinched or damaged.

Sirius tech support said it might be a ground wire but that doesn't make sense to me. I checked anyway and the ground is connected tight and secure.

This is driving me ******* crazy! Is there anything I can do or anyplace else I can check for a problem?
Old 10-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Launching!

*Bump*
Old 10-21-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its clear on some stations and not on others, i would say it could be the satelite tuner box
Old 10-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Why would the tuner box be defective in this way? Would it make sense for a bad ground to be causing this like sirius said or is that just bullshit?
Old 10-25-2007, 03:04 AM

It could be an antenna issue. I have replaced them to fix this problem before. Would not be a grounding issue, because if it were, it would either work all the time or not at all. The tuner box could also be bad, i have also seen this issue. The only way to know for sure is to have a stereo place switch the antenna, or the box and see if it fixes the problem.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Launching!

I replaced the antenna the other day and I'm still getting the exact same problem. Damn I really hope they don't charge me for a defective tuner replacement.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:13 AM

well at this pont, the tuner is the only thing left that could be causing bad reception. If you bought the equiptment at the shop than they should not charge you to change out the tuner... if you bought it on your own, then the shop has every right to charge you to swap the tuners, since they did not sell you the part.