Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help. Bad vibration after new trans and converter..

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some help. Bad vibration after new trans and converter..

ok here is a rundown. My trans went about a month ago(first gear was making lots of noise) so i ordered myself a built trans and a new converter. Took my car to the shop to have the old one pulled and the new one installed. Dropt the car off to them on tuesday and they started working on it wedensday. Wasn't done on wedensday cause the shifter cable broke and they needed to order a new one. Well thursday i get a call as they wanted to let me know that they had a tech (guy i knew from a bowling league that begged to do the car since he new me) working on it and when they went to check the car cause it was vibrating and making noise they found that he didnt line up the converter right and only had 2 bolts in it holding it to the flexplate. They took him off the job and put their a-tech on the job and completely riped the trans out and started over from scratch. Went there on saturday (they didnt call i just showed up to check what was going on) and i got the oh your car will be ready soon, the tech heard some noise,re checked all the bolts and its fixed, just have to go for a test drive. I go get some lunch and come back. Yea its ready and good to go, i get the bill and of course hey jacked the bill, i complained that they gave me a different quote and they took off 100 bucks but still mad at that but hey i get my car back. Well driving home the problems begin. I have serious vibrations driving the car as well as sitting in park. The trans shifts fine and does everything it is supose to do..NOW MY QUESTION IS WHAT WOULD CAUSE VIBRATIONS(THE WHOLE CAR SHAKES) WHILE SITTING IN PARK. It does get a bit worse when driving the car. So far i have heard that it has something to do with the flexplate or the converter. When the kid that first installed it with 2 converter bolts in, i think he might have bent the flexplate or maybe even the converter tabs and cause its now bent thats the cause of the vibrations..I had them check the flexplate for cracks(as the 2001-2002's tend to crack) but it was fine. My only other thought is that i got a bum converter that is out of balance. This whole deal is pissing me off and i just want to know what to look for when i take it back to them and prove one way or the other that either they screwed it up or if infact the converter is not balanced right. I could sit in park, bring the rpms up to 1,000 and my steering wheel will actually shake, its very noticable. It will go away between 1,000-1,500rpm then come back strong at 1,800. Driving the car makes it more noticable and i can hear rattling sounds if i get into the gas. So what the hell do i do about it. Im definately taking it back to them to try and figure this out..

Quick Reply: Need some help. Bad vibration after new trans and converter..