Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires spinning too much on 2 -1 downshift

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires spinning too much on 2 -1 downshift

I'm sure some of you guys have the same problem because I only have bolt ons and with new tires i get some wheel spin with old tires i was fishtailing. Anyways, my question is can you program the transmission to downshift before WOT. SO basically say i switch it from OD to D at around 25 mph it automatically goes into first, and if im on the freeway going about 65 mph if i drop it from OD to D it switches out of 4th gear and goes into 2nd. That way when I run on the street I dont have to worry about spinning my tires or fishtailing.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can change the 2-->1 downshift mph for some help there.
For example, if you drop down to 1st gear when you're already going 40mph it's not as much of a shock to the tires as letting it drop down to 1st gear when you're going 20mph. So you can force it to stay up in 2nd by tweaking that table even though you've mashed the pedal down.

There are columns for different tps settings, with a different mph in each one. So if you kick the pedal down to 80 or 90 %, you can have the table set up to not downshift so easily, but still downshift if you have mashed the pedal 100%.

OD to D at the lever should only be 4th down to 3rd.

The pedal (tps) does the rest, based on the mph in the table.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:14 AM
Staging Lane

its not that i dont want it to downshift easily its more i want to make it as close to a manual trans as i can. Like if i m mtn driving, autox, or road racing i want it to stay in the gear even if i let off. For example, if im in 2nd gear and i m at around 4k rpms if i let off to brake into a turn when i get back on the gas the car is in 3 or 4 i want it to stay in 2nd so that my throttle input is consistent. THe only other time i want it is for racing from a roll so its already in gear by three honks not downshifting after i go WOT.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like you could just pull the lever down into second gear to hold it there through a turn.

Or manually select the gear you want to be in, before you hit the gas.

If you change the table in the pcm to not upshift when you let off, then it won't upshift when you are just driving around either.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

you need better tires dude lol

thats how you stop wheel spin
Old 10-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

better tires is true i have brand new pirillis tho. Right now i drop it to second manually but sooner or later all that manual shifting is going to kill my transmission. I thought the pcm could be adjusted so that in D is performance and in the circle D its regular. That way when i want regular driving i ll put it in circle D and when i'm mtn driving, racing, trackday ill use the circle D.