Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here is my weight savings from aftermarket hood

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Here is my weight savings from aftermarket hood

I weighed the stock SS hood it is 44lbs (not anywhere near the 52 figure I had read here). The VFN hood I purchased is a bolt on 2 inch cowl and weighs 25 lbs (not the 20 VFN lists). So my actual savings is 19 pounds and not the 32 I had originally thought from the numbers I had read. The Sunoco hood is 5 lbs heavier than the model I chose so that would knock weight savings to 14lbs and keep in mind the VFN needs paint. At least another pound there. Just thought I'd throw these numbers out there.
Save the dumb comments like the ones I got last time about weight savings
"Go take a dump" etc. I thought i'd share these numbers for those of us that are serious about weight reduction. If your doing a hood for looks this info is meaningless to you. The hood does look pretty badass on the car.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wonder what the actual savings on a pin on hood is. Figure the dzus fasteners and brackets and tubing. Wonder if it is any less than a bolt on hood ???
Old 10-24-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My pin-on, plain hood was 13.5 lbs before paint. The pin-on doesn't have to be as thick or strong as the bolt-on.

I was also able to get rid of the struts, hinges, and that whole latch assembly on the front of the car. All that plus my steel hood was a little over 50 lbs.

Right now I'm using 4 hood pins, and no tubing, so very little weight was added back.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:48 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by John_D.
My pin-on, plain hood was 13.5 lbs before paint. The pin-on doesn't have to be as thick or strong as the bolt-on.

I was also able to get rid of the struts, hinges, and that whole latch assembly on the front of the car. All that plus my steel hood was a little over 50 lbs.

Right now I'm using 4 hood pins, and no tubing, so very little weight was added back.

Just what I was going to say. Latch assembly, hinges etc are heavy. If you're looking to max out the weight savings on a hood swap then pin on is the way to go.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

44lbs stock SS..heavy for fiberglass isn't it. my z28 hood is metal so mine should weight close to 60lb? im looking to get a fiberglass from vfn also