Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Could it be the driveshaft or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Could it be the driveshaft or something else?

To me, the sound is a "whine." The last rear end it had broke and the driveshaft drug on the highway til I got stopped. We installed another grandma treated 30k mile 10 bolt about 9 months ago and it drives fine. We used the same driveshaft. My car puts over 400 at the wheels through an M6. However I have treated it carefully with no burnouts or hard launches since the install. The only time I can hear the "whine" is doing under 1700 or so RPM's. If I accelerate hard you can't hear it. Then let's say I'm costing down a hill at 45 mph you can hear it go "chirp....chirp....chirp" while it's in a gear. When I put it in neutral going down that hill the noise goes away. There is also a "clunk" when I hit ANY bump, or when the suspension is compressed, but I don't think it's related. I can be doing 3 mph and you can hear that clunk when I hit a bump. That clunk sounds like the catback hitting the axle, but I'm pretty sure it's not. Anyways...

I'm thinking I might have a bad driveshaft, u-joint, or the ring & pinion is making that "chirp............ whine" noise. What do you guys think? Maybe an axle? The ride seems a little rougher than it did back in the day and it's still on the same air shocks.

Last edited by candlelit; 10-27-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:02 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That chirping noise sounds like a tight U Joint to me, you should check it out right away. While you are under there, make sure the factory torque arm is not starting to bend.I have seen them bend approx six inches ahead of the rearend. Bob
Old 10-28-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

really? because that just might be my problem. when I was under there today trying to find the "clunk" over bump noise, the torque arm bolts were loose. I tightened them up and the "clunk" noise went away. My torque arm does look a little bent. Would it cause that "whine" noise?? Or the "chirp" and "whine" noise be the u-joint? I'll try to get a picture of it and post it up.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:03 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by candlelit
really? because that just might be my problem. when I was under there today trying to find the "clunk" over bump noise, the torque arm bolts were loose. I tightened them up and the "clunk" noise went away. My torque arm does look a little bent. Would it cause that "whine" noise?? Or the "chirp" and "whine" noise be the u-joint? I'll try to get a picture of it and post it up.
If the torque arm starts to bend, it throws off the driveshaft angle, which can cause the noises you mentioned.
Pictures here. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...php?service=58 Bob
Old 10-29-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ouch! I'm definitely taking a look at it soon. Thanks Bob!

What kind of "symptoms" would a u-joint problem cause?

edit: well nevermind, I found a good thread about it: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...nt#post3598946