Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx in 86 Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LSx in 86 Monte Carlo

I'm doing some planning on an upcomming LSx swap into my 86 monte carlo ss.

I will likely be using a 4.8 or 5.3 rather than an LS1/LS2 just to keep the cost down. To keep things simple I am looking for the entire pullout with 4L60E, wiring, ECU, accessories. I will use the JEGS or ebay motor mount adapters and the Iceman 4L60E crossmember from maliburacing. For now the 7.5" rear will stay but I may upgrade to an 8.5" in the future. I'll use Wait4meperformance or Speartech for the wiring harness and ECU. Aftermarket speedo and tach will be used in the stock instrument cluster.

Some questions I have:
I've read that truck manifolds will not fit without modification on a G-body, So I plan on f-body manifolds unless there is a reasonable priced aftermarket set of headers available. And I have nearly new true dual exhaust on the car now. Will on exhaust shop be able to route the f-body manifolds into my current exhaust?

Will the truck alternator and intake clear a stock g-body hood?

I plan on using a monte TBI tank with a walboro in tank pump and hotwire kit. Should I use braided fuel line, stainless steel, or aluminum line?

Can the stock radiator be used along with electric fans?

What would be involved with swapping an LS1 intake onto a truck block? Would the intake, fuel rails, throttle body, and injectors cover it....Or is there more to it than that?

Am I missing anything else?
Old 10-28-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a v8 radiator the stock radiator will work fine with electric fans, some custom fab work might be needed though.

For the most part sounds like you got a plan. there are headers that G-body swaps have been using, here is their thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...+g#post6267547

Some one should chime in on the truck manifolds, I've never held them so I dont know what they look like.

Good luck.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:36 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The truck exhaust manifolds will not fit, their outlets are 1.5-2" further away (out) from the block than the f-body manifolds. The f-body manifolds are basically a drop in, just move the o2 sensor on the drivers manifold.

I think that the truck intake/alt should clear, I know that it clears on my El Camino.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I did not address was the oil pan. What are my options here?...I've read that the truck pan will fit but hang close to the ground and for the f-body pan the engine crossmember needs to be modified. Is there an aftermarket pan that will work with a g-body?
And finally, what year truck engines came with the cable throttle body? What is needed to adapt this to a g-body.....cable, pedal, etc.?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:46 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For the oil pan you can get a f-body one to fit without cutting the frame, but you have to cut the heater box and grind the rear boss off the valvecover. Check out my Fquick page, I should have a bunch of pics on there.

The 1999 to 2002 truck engines have cable TB`s. It is really easy to adapt. The truck TB cable will work, just round out the hole in the firewall and bend the pedal so that it will pull the cable to WOT.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:56 AM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Is there an aftermarket pan that will work with a g-body?
PM me for details on a modified pan to fit without cutting anything on your car.

Quick Reply: LSx in 86 Monte Carlo