Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to glide, or not to glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to glide, or not to glide

So, I'm hookin up the juice this winter and planning on eventually spraying 200 after tunning and all. My problem is I'm currently pushing my TH350 damn near to the limit and I know I wont be able to keep that in the car if I spray any higher than a 100 shot. SO my question to you is, do I swap to a powerglide, or do I just get a TH400 or a rock solid TH350... or something else. I'm not worried about it being a streetable car at all.

If I go for a powerglide, what do you all recommend? I need something with a transbrake of course.

ALSO whats your opinion on a lower hp car with a 1.82 ratio vs. a 1.76 ratio? I'm not makin 1000hp here so I still want it to be able to launch hard as hell.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no way for anyone to constructively answer your post without having a detailed understanding of your current combination, plans for future mods and intended use.

But, I would tell you that I would run the #50 till it quit! You might be surprised, they are tough.

Get back to us with some meaningful info and we'll offer some sound advice!

g
Old 10-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure thing.
89 bird, strip/show car

Motor.
383 stroker, I dont have the specs in front of me, but it has all the goodies. Last dyno dropped 455rwhp and that was before switching to electric water pump and power steering delete, so add a few estimated hp.

tranny:
350 turbo built by some guy out of PA, dont know his name or anything, it was given to me for free and now his shop is closed and he's nowhere to be found. Cant pass up a freebee tho only real **** I know about is it has a forward manual valve body and a real nice shift kit. When it was given to me I was told that it was built for no more than 500hp.

Right now im running a 9" rear, coilovers, subframe connectors, 3.90 gears, about 3000 lbs wet give or take a few. the rear is tied down pretty good and should be able to handle some serious umph.

Sorry about that, hope thats enough of what your lookin for. I'm not exactly fully experienced in this field.

EDIT:
plans for future mods, entirely new fuel system, quickfuel 850 cfm carb, NX twin gemini plate system (hopefully getting up to a 250 shot), Possibly full d-link style rear end, if not then cut down the rear and tub it anyway.
Intended use, Strip and driving it to local car shows.

Last edited by leadfoot100; 10-29-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think that a TH400 would be a good option for this car as it will see some street duty. The reason is, you are going to want a high stalling converter 3500 - 3800 rpm, and with a glide you would be generating a whole bunch of heat for long periods of time on the street.

But, I am going to stcik with my 1st observation... stay with the 350 unitl it can't handle it wears out. You might be surprised as to how much it can take.

g