Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Gauges don't work!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Gauges don't work!!!!!!!!!

Alright so nothing like this has ever happened to my car.

Last night as I was leaving class I turned on my headlights and obviously my dash lit up like normal. I stayed parked there to let the car warm up a little and then the gauges just turned off after about 20 seconds. I didn't touch anything, they just turned off as I sat there. Anyway so I drove home and everything work fine. The gauges themselves work just fine. When I say that I mean the RPM, gas, oil pressure, MPH, everything moves and functions correctly. Just the lights don't light up behind them. All the other light do light up when I turn the key to accessory, such as the ABS INOP, Brake, low coolant, you know those light do work.

I checked fuses and they all look good so I'm lost. Do I need to pull the gauges out and check behind them? If so what exactly do I look for? Sorry but I have never pulled out gauges so I don't know what I'm in for.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Check your tail lights. If the running lights (not brake or turn signal) aren't working then replace the TAIL LPS fuse - it also powers the dash lights. If they are working then replace the IP DIMMER fuse. Never trust a visual inspection of fuses - they can look fine but still be blown.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem after installing my new deck, gauges work but won't light up. I know you said you checked the fuses, but mine was blown. There is a 15 amp fuse in the side of the dash marked as dimmer, you might want to check yours again.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Well after reading to check my taillights I did that and they are all crazy! I'm uploading a vid now to post.

On the other hand mark another 1 of us from NM!
Old 11-06-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Here is the video:
Old 11-08-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

off topic, but great idle, sounds awesome, recheck the fuses, plus replace the bulbs in the back that arent lit up on pass side, they should be dual element bulbs, a low and high in one bulb?