Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Audio n00b w/ wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Audio n00b w/ wiring question

I have the stock 6 speaker set up non-Bose/non-Monsoon and I just installed an Alpine 9885 and love it, but I was wondering why I'm getting sound out of the hatch speakers and not the back seat speakers. Not that I have a problem with it, I was just curious.

Also, I'd like to keep all 6 speakers for the sound system I'm putting together. Do you guys know how I'd wire this? Do I need a special piece of equipment? The only amps I've been able to find are mono/2/3/4/5 channel and the Alpine only has front, rear and sub RCA ports.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is odd because I thought only the Monsoon cars had rear hatch speakers which would explain why you don't get sound out of the sail panel speakers. In the Monsoon you would only get bass from the sail panels.
That being said you have no Monsoon system since I believe that wasn't an option till 97 so your 94 would not have the rear hatch speakers from the factory normally since it didn't have the Monsoon option.
My best guess is that someone swapped in the rear hatch panels with the hatch speakers from a later year car, disconnected your sail panel speakers, and ran the wires from those to the hatch. Keep in mind this is just a guess. Best way to find out is to pop the sail panel grills off and have a look at the sail panel speakers to see if they are even there.
I have entire packages that replace all the speakers and several nice amps to choose from including some 6 channel amps that would be the answer to your dilema.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, just opened the sail panels and there are speakers. I'll unscrew them and take a peek under their skirts to see if they're wired in. The previous owner was my uncle so I'll ask about those hatch speakers. I know he's replaced the stock head unit 3 times because they kept crapping out on him.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Kee Audio is correct...there was no Monsoon system until the 97 model year. Also, Bose systems were available only in Camaros. However, there was a premium audio system much like the Monsoon available in 94 Firebirds. It was the only system that had hatch speakers and it also had subs in the sail panels just like Monsoon systems. Check your door sticker (actually, I think it was in the glove box that year) for option code UW2.

If you have that system then the sail panel speakers were powered by an amp mounted in the right sail panel below the speaker, next to the bottom seat cushion. The amp got power through a fuse labeled RADIO ACCY in the dash fuse panel. That fuse may have blown or the amp may have gone bad.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, I had absolutely no idea. I'm gonna have to check that out, thanks.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stupid me didn't attach the stock amp wire to the HU. Now that the amp is wired up, all 6 speakers are sounding off again, problem solved!

Last edited by AdsoYo; 08-27-2020 at 01:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Audio n00b w/ wiring question