Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Any certified test results for Dana 60 vs 12 bolt vs 9" ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Any certified test results for Dana 60 vs 12 bolt vs 9" ?

I posted this in another thread, but thought it would be worthy of being its own thread so the title could maybe grab the attention of someone with an answer for me.

Has anyone seen ANY trustworthy test reports on Dynos where they took a car, swapped in/out a 12 bolt, 9", and Dana 60 without altering anything else? I'd like to see actual test results for power comparisons and vehicle weights between the three of them. I've searched for it on here, and couldn't find any real-life, documented, certified tests for it. I've read lots and lots of opinions and experiences with all three rear ends, but no real test data.

If nobody has done that yet, I think it would be an awesome idea for a Chevy Hi-Performance test.

I'm trying to figure out the truth to the "weight stories" for the Dana. I've heard people say they are heavy, actually really heavy. I talked to DTS, Moser and Strange, and they say the 60 is only 20 lbs heavier than a 12 bolt. They say the reason everyone says they are much heavier is because those people are not talking about the aftermarket Dana 60s. The old ones, yes they were tanks. The new ones, 20 lbs more than a 12 bolt.

I believe that they would rob more HP than a 12 bolt (due to the 35 spline axles, bigger bearings, bigger gear sizes). And from what I've heard, they rob less HP than a 9" due to something with the pinion of the 9 inch.

The reason I'm so interested in this is because I'm building a 66 Nova, and the typical Nova weighs around 2800-3000 lbs. If there really is a ton of weight added by the Dana, then a car that light would probably notice it. The car is going to be a 100% street car......cruises, shows, weekend drives with the kids, and also ripping up the asphalt on certain occassions Hoping to get somewhere around 425RWHP with an A4.

So, anyone have any links to these kinds of test results?

Thanks guys.