Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

question about rear clunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about rear clunk

im pretty sure my stock rear is going (clicks and pops in turns yadda yadda) but i was just woundering. how much play, turning the drive shaft forward and back is to much? im getting clunks cruising and now slightly from a stop. while cruising it will clunk when i give it alittle gas and clunk when i get off (not flooring it or anything). my 2000 z28 did the same thing before someone ran me off the road. just woundering if this is the nature of the stock rear end and if i should expect it from a 12 bolt.

thanks guys,
corey
Old 11-20-2007, 04:07 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure the u joints aren't shot? Bob
Old 11-20-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

i checked them out already. there isnt any play in them. if you grab the drive shaft you can sort of emulate the sound by turning it back and forth. i know there is going to be some movment but wasnt sure exactly how much is too much. it sounds like there is too much clearance between the ring and pinion. do i have a torsen (i think i do, 2002 ) and are they known for getting sloppy? it only has 33,000 on it. but i know that doesnt make a bit of differance.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

a little popping and clunking is normal for a torsen. Mines done it since new and the popping noises haven't changed in 100k. I do have more gear whine and some other new noises that may become a problem.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Omec
im pretty sure my stock rear is going (clicks and pops in turns yadda yadda) but i was just woundering. how much play, turning the drive shaft forward and back is to much? im getting clunks cruising and now slightly from a stop. while cruising it will clunk when i give it alittle gas and clunk when i get off (not flooring it or anything). my 2000 z28 did the same thing before someone ran me off the road. just woundering if this is the nature of the stock rear end and if i should expect it from a 12 bolt.

thanks guys,
corey
Mine was doing same thing as yours.....found out that the pinion bolt was backing out a lil bit....I tightened it it up a lil and everything was fine afterwards. Hopefully thats the case with your deal, however with these rear ends anything is possible
Old 11-20-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hopefully thats the case with your deal, however with these rear ends anything is possible[/QUOTE]

lol ya thats what im hearing. did you have to take the drive shaft down to find that the pinion nut was loose?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Omec
Hopefully thats the case with your deal, however with these rear ends anything is possible

Yes.....didn't take long at all