Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L76 into Cobra. E38 Mil light etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L76 into Cobra. E38 Mil light etc

Im putting a L76 (From Aussie commodore and will also be in the pontiac G8) into a AC cobra replica and need a little advice on the wiring. I have most of the ECU stuff figured out, but also however Im not sure how to get the signal to the OBD connector, and the oil pressure and MIL(check engine) lights. There doesnt appear to be a single serial data line from the E38 ECU (as I think you get with an LS1 ecu), just the GMLAN serial bus "-" and "+".

The abbreviation on the pin out shematic I have are bloody hard to interpret though (damn engineers).

I assume the serial bus lines connect to the BCM normally, and these then control the oil\engine warning lights, and send the serial line to the ODB connector too, but I may be off track there. I wont be running a BCM at all.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 11-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Anyone?? - Ive seached high and low for this info without luck - Im sure Im not breaking new ground so hopefully someone knows.

Cheers
Old 11-21-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im guessing those signals are transferred from the ECU to other modules via CANBUS which GM calls GMLAN. Two wires twisted together (CAN high and CAN low) transfer a set of messages which are read by various modules. These are digital and require a module that will understand the message. An analog gauge will not.

Your options are either to buy a CAN reader. It will display the various signals being sent in the network (LAN) rpm,speed etc. Racelogic has such boxes.

or

if the L76 can run off the ls2 ecu, then go that route.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Teching In

That sounds right -as the 2 outputs on my shecmatic are actually labelled CAN_LO amd CAN_HI - so ill do a little research on the whole canbus thing. Do you think the outputs Im after will come out of that (oil pressure light, MIL, and Serial for the OBDII)

Cheers
Old 11-21-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not sure if that data is sent via CANBUS for your case. if you cant find a dedicated wire for the signal in question then chances are it gets transfered via CAN.The service manuals should also help you alot.

More manufacturers are turning to network based setups (CANBUS,LAN) for relaying messages because it means you can send more stable signals and use less wires. At the moment thats a pain for guys swapping engines but im guessing with time more user friendly digital to analogue converters will become available.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Teching In

I have all the info I need for anyone else wanting to know how to kook this up. The mil light is connectox X1 - pin 68. switched earth so needs active to the other side of the MIL light. The obd2 connector info I found here:

http://download2.efilive.com/Tutoria...20Tutorial.pdf

Cheers

Last edited by cornetto; 11-29-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Yep, BRN/WHITE pin 68. Keep us posted on how the rest of your wiring goes I'm getting ready to start my wiring next week. I am also using the E38 computer.

Quick Reply: L76 into Cobra. E38 Mil light etc