Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detonation

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default detonation

ive got a 00 SS and ive run into a little trouble with the law so it set me back quite a few $. any way i havent had the money to do what i want to the car but i started with the whisperlid and k&n and while i was doing that i ported my maf. I did this about a year ago and a few months after i did it i heard a little pinging while i was idleing. i didnt really think anything of it until i was playing around with another SS and i was experiencing some moderate knocking at around 4500 rpm. at first i thought my modified maf was tricking the computer into thinking that there was less air comming into the intake than really was- therefore leaning out my a/f ratio and making it detonate. i got a stock maf since then with the screen intact and nothing happened. still pinging while underload i took it to chevy to see if they knew wtf was going on and they said it was a carbon deposit buildup and to use 2 bottles of 44-K and it should get rid of the deposits and therefore stop pinging. this sounded kind of funny to me but i did it and the car stoped when i added it to the tank but when the tank ran out and i filled up again at the gas station it started pinging again. ive looked under every link online under ls1 detonation and pinging and there are a few things that people have posted but i am lost. at ls1 info it says that it is the rear bank knock sensor and to rtv the area around it so water doesnt get in to corrode it. others say that i need to modify my pcv arangement and have chevy clean my intake of carbon deposits. then some others say to take it to a performance shop and use ls1 edit to adjust all of the fuel curves and a/f ratio and a whole bunch of other things. dude i am so lost and this pinging is really pissing me off. does any one else have an ls1 with the same problems as me. somebody please help me out an give me some answers or insight
Old 06-20-2003, 05:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: detonation

id take the car back to stock and reset the pcm and let it have like 500+ miles to relearn it self if it stopped with the stuff it may be a sign your running lean ide take it to a shop and have em che3ck your a\f ratio if all is fine with the a\f ratio then it muct be mechanical like carbon build up or a fouled plug
Old 06-20-2003, 06:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No other mods, right? What type of gas are you using? 91? 92? 93? Sure nothing less right? Are you using the same gas station? Knock usually means lean. O2's could be bad. Does any of your friend have an A-tap. A lot can be told by that little program.

David
Old 06-20-2003, 07:43 PM
Launching!

when i used to live in california i always ran 91 oct. because that was the highest they had out theer but since ive moved to texas ive been running 93 oct. in cali i never ran any brand other than 76 and out here in tex i only run cheveron because they dont have 76. the car is all stock except the airbox and filter. can auto tap reset the pcm? i only know one guy that haz a Z and he know a guy that custom programs the computer but he said he charges $300.