Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

taking off valve springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking off valve springs

hey i blew my engine and now im trying to take the last valve spring off the number 7 cylinder and the piston isnt holding compression. so does anyone have any suggestions about how to take it off withou pulling the head?
Old 11-23-2007, 10:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ms4z28
hey i blew my engine and now im trying to take the last valve spring off the number 7 cylinder and the piston isnt holding compression. so does anyone have any suggestions about how to take it off withou pulling the head?
Top dead center method. Rotate the crankshaft til the piston is at TDC, then you won't have to worry about the valve dropping too far.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:06 PM
Launching!

i bent the connecting rod also so i cant turn the engine. im putting the engine back to stock cuz it is still under warranty so im going to have chevrolet put in a new engine
Old 11-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Break a spark plug and hollow out the threaded part and braize an air hose attachment too it, put it in the spark plug hole and hook up compressor. I think you can actually buy a part that will do this check parts store. I just made my own though.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DeadLifter
Break a spark plug and hollow out the threaded part and braize an air hose attachment too it, put it in the spark plug hole and hook up compressor. I think you can actually buy a part that will do this check parts store. I just made my own though.
I would have recommended him to use the air compressor fitting, but when he said it wouldnt hold compression, I assumed it was bleeding off the air, thus why this method wouldn't work.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
I would have recommended him to use the air compressor fitting, but when he said it wouldnt hold compression, I assumed it was bleeding off the air, thus why this method wouldn't work.
True, but as logn as it isnt a complete and total loss, having the cylinder see a constant flow of pressurized air may be enough. It really just depends on how bad the piston/cylinder is damaged.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:41 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Take the plug out for the #7 cylinder, and stick something in the plug hole to see where the piston is stopped. If it's close to TDC, then you should be ok. Hopefully for you, it's close to TDC.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Siwel
True, but as logn as it isnt a complete and total loss, having the cylinder see a constant flow of pressurized air may be enough. It really just depends on how bad the piston/cylinder is damaged.
I agree. In his first post it seemed that he couldn't get this method to work, by stating:
Originally Posted by ms4z28
the piston isnt holding compression. so does anyone have any suggestions about how to take it off withou pulling the head?
Old 11-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Launching!

hey thanks but i think im just goin to have to pull the head off but if u can figure some thing out the post it. thanks again