Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

kicker speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kicker speaker question

would you use the same kind of speakers for the front door as the back seat? i'm thinking about getting 6-3/4'' Kicker KS65 speakers for the front doors and back seat and 4'' Kicker 07DS400 speakers for the rear sail panels. and running them off the stock amp for now. i'll upgrade that later. thanks

p.s. i'm about to install a pioneer premier HU, but besides that, its the stock monsoon sound system.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

yes, or what i usually do is put the component form in the front and the coax form in the rear, but thats up to you.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

whats the difference between the two? i dont know a lot about sound systems, my HU just came today though, so tomorrow i'm going to attempt installing it lol
Old 11-26-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just stick with the coax especially if you are planning on changing out the monsoon amp out later on. Will make it easier later.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

components are a set that have a seperate tweeter, midrange, and crossover. coxials are a single speaker with both a midrange and tweeter built in. Components give a cleaner sound, coaxils are usually louder
Old 11-27-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What? Coaxials are louder? No way dude. Coaxials rarely have even half decent crossovers meaning they would distort quicker and thus actually be WORSE at putting out SPL than a decent component set.

Coaxial just means two speakers (woofer and tweeter) on the same axis. Some component sets can be mounted coaxially as well.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dragonrage
What? Coaxials are louder? No way dude. Coaxials rarely have even half decent crossovers meaning they would distort quicker and thus actually be WORSE at putting out SPL than a decent component set.

Coaxial just means two speakers (woofer and tweeter) on the same axis. Some component sets can be mounted coaxially as well.
not gonna argue, just go to s shop, put on just a radio, and listen to coaxils, then components. on an amp its a different story. crossovers ussually take away from spl---thats why most kicker setups are done y by-amping component sets
Old 11-27-2007, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

Crossovers do not subtract much from the sensitivity of a speaker unless there's an L-pad in them. And they will allow you to handle much more power before distorting. Also, biamping is only useful if you use an active crossover, otherwise you're doing what's called fool's biamping. Look it up.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Back to some Monsoon basics...

The doors have components from the factory so if you install coax speakers you'll either have to modify the speakers to accept separate woofer and tweeter wiring or else you'll only be able to connect the speakers to one of the two channels in each door.

The sail panels get a low-pass filtered signal from the Monsoon amp (intended for subs) so installing 2-way speakers there won't produce any sound from the tweeters.

About the only suggested speakers that will work as intended are the 4" in the hatch area.

You should talk to Ian (Kee Audio) about other speaker options that will work very well with the Monsoon setup.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

all of the kicker component setups allow you to put the tweeter in the center to run a co-ax if you don't want to seperate the tweet. I run 3 sets of kicker ss. I love my coponent set in the rear.

I have to agree, I will take the coponent set any day of the co-ax version.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

all of the kicker component setups allow you to put the tweeter in the center to run a co-ax if you don't want to seperate the tweet. I run 3 sets of kicker ss. I love my component set in the rear.

I have to agree, I will take the component set any day of the co-ax version. The crossovers are night and day difference at high volume. Here are some pics before my leather seats, and before I cleaned it but you get the picture.

http://home.comcast.net/~wicked-warl...erss-front.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~wicked-warl...rss65-rear.JPG

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 11-27-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, i think i'll go with components in the front doors and regular speakers in the back seat and sail panels. i'll run the factory amp for a while and depending on how it sounds as is, i may upgrade that too. tonight i started trying to install my HU, but i ran out of daylight and all the wires did a pretty good job of confusing me so tomorrow i'm going to take it to one of my friends thats an electrician and see if he can help me figure it out. i sure wish i knew more about wiring
Old 11-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The back seats are the sail panels. The rearmost speakers are the hatch speakers.

Putting regular speakers (coax, component, or anything other than a midbass or sub) in the sail panels will result in nothing but bass because of the Monsoon amp wiring. Since most "regular" speakers aren't designed for those frequencies, you may get little or no sound at all from them.

Certainly you could install an aftermarket amp but it would be easier to just get the right type of speakers - midbass or subs. I can tell you from personal experience that the eD 7kv.2 6.5" subs work well there (especially in Firebirds). There are also some other options that will work well in Camaros.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

my fault, i was under the impression that the sail panels was the hatch area. so that means, i'd put components in the front doors, coaxials in the hatch area, and that means i'm still trying to find something for the sail panels since i looked and midbass kicker speakers are about $250. what would you suggest putting there? i'm looking for affordable, clean sounding, and will work well with the stock amp for now, but would also do well when i got an aftermarket amp. thanks
Old 11-27-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Don't use hatch speakers. Unhook them.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

why wouldn't you use them? they dont seem to be that expensive so why not?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Many people feel that the hatch speakers (especially upgraded ones) move the sound stage too far back. It's really a matter of personal taste. If you like concert imaging from your sound system then there should be nothing but bass behind you (because it's less directional than higher frequencies). If you like the "surround sound" imaging then rear speakers will give you that sound.

Check out the Elemental Designs 7kv.2 subs (formerly EU-700) for the sail panels. They require a spacer because they're deeper than stock but they wire up just like the factory speakers and provide pretty good bass for their size ($130/pair). Another option would be the CDT EF-6 or CL-6 midbass. Ian (Kee Audio) is having a holiday special right now so you should contact him about the current price.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

so if i get subs later, i should have components in the front doors, midbass speakers or coaxials in the sail panels(cant decide if the midbass speakers are work the money over coaxials), nothing in the hatch area. run the speakers off the stock amp until i upgrade to a new 4-channel for the speakers. in the future i'm going to get two 10's and an amp to mount in the hatch area. this sound good?

and i think i'm going to go with kicker ks series in the front doors and rs series for the sails because they seem to be good for the money, and when i get my subs, i'm getting cvr's with a kicker amp.

Last edited by dutinsss; 11-28-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I seem to be repeating myself a lot here...

If you install coaxial speakers in the sail panels and connect them to the factory wiring you will get little or no sound because the Monsoon amp provides only midbass/sub frequencies to that location
Old 11-28-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, so midbass speakers in the sails and components in the doors it is. Sorry, for some reason I thought you meant that by putting coaxials in the sails, I would get only bass and no highs, my mistake. And thanks a lot for the replies.